Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

99 Navigator: cylender..yesterday when I changed my plugs..cracked…

Customer Question
My #5 cylender on my...
My #5 cylender on my 99 Navigator has ruened 3 coils now. The problem is defenetly with the ignition on #5. it is the coil that i replaced yesterday when I changed my plugs. the case was cracked and red stuff was in the crack. when i put the new coil in I put it in 6, and an old one in 5. then tonight i just went to the store to get fuses, a braker and one more coil. (just to have it). every time i pull the #5 coil it is very hot and cracked.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: connor75, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician
The red stuff is rust colored water, when you put the next coil in the number five hole, make sure the hole is not filled with water, if it is blow it out, then grease the coil with a heavy brake dielectric grease and you should have no more problems, also have you changed spark plugs?
It is not water it is from inside the coil. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the truck felt like it was running out of gas or misfiring and then just died. it poped the #30 interior fuse. I got it towed home and pulled the cowl's and plugs (plugs looked fine but had a couple of years on them so I got new ones) one coil's secondary resistance was infanent and i noticed a small crack with a hard red (plastic like) drip shaped bit of stuff coming from the crack. So i got a new coil. i put the new one in #6 and an old one in 5. changed the fuse it started and ran for 15-20 sec and then the fuse poped. i pulled the coil out and it to was cracked so i got one more and put the new one in #5. started yp and it ran fine for a fue min. so i desided i would take it Around the block. So i started to back up and got to the end of my driveway(I have a long drive way) and backed in to the street and just as i put it into gear it poped and died. i put a new fuse back in and it started up but misfiring. so i drove back to my garage and let it run for a fue minutes on 7 of them.

so in conclusion it will run with the #5 coil messed up but keeps poping the #30 int. fuse and costing me coils. Any ideas? way to test the idea? step by step?

Thanks, Robert
Tell me the fuse location and number and I will look into it.
#30 in the cab of the truck.
Anything to try to test.
Can i put in a PCM from a same year navigator as my truck.
You should be able to but you will have to program new keys, it won't start with your keys. Looking at that circuit, there are a couple things to check. On the intake bolted to both left and right sides are two capacitors they have single wires and look like a little metal tube make sure they are present and intact and not loose and smashed/ shorted against anything. Also look very carefully at the harness leading to the number 5 coil, make sure it is also not pinched anywhere. There is a chance that the driver for the number 5 coil is shorted but I would rather you carefully inspect wiring first.
the wireing is good. ive tested it for a short, and checked the resistance on - side of coil to batt. - with the pcm unpluged its all good. the problem is that it is not geting the - signal from the PCM to fire the coil. wher is the coil driver and what dis it take to test it.
Its internal to the pcm and there really is no way to definitively test it other than a test light across the connector, see if it flashes while cranking.
That is what i did. I uaed the battery's + and the coil's - on the harness with a test light. the outhers worked and #5 did not. is that why my coils cracked they got the 12v from the red but not the negitave signal from the pcm to fire that cylinder and they got hot and cracked?
So Do i just need to go down to a junk yard and get a pcm from a 5.4l dohc? can it be a year or 2 off or should i get the exact one?
Sounds plausible, but again, your truck has passive anti theft, and you will have to have the keys programmed, so perhaps, bring the pcm ( get one from the year of your vehicle, try car-part.com for the part) and swap it in the parking lot of the dealership to avoid a tow bill. Bring two keys with you, have them programmed to the new pcm and hopefully you are good to go!