Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Ford Freestar: van..idles, on the road..under load..compressor…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Ford...
I have a 2002 Ford Freestar van that does not cool good at idles, on the road it starts to cool better. My readings at idle low side at 55 and high side at 350. When I increase the idle to try see my reading will be under load, the high side goes up to 400, the high presure switch on the compressor cycles off the system at this time. I had the same problem last year and the Ford dealership replaced the compressor, but the not the accumalor. The outlet low side temp after the accumaltor is cool to the touch and the inlet at the high side to hot to the touch. I believe I might have a restriction at the accumaltor, and I need to replaced it with the orfice tube and recharge the system. One other questions, What should be my low and high side readings under a load?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: RJ, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer. You could have a restriction certainly , however have you added freon ? In a attempt to make it cool better ?

No, because my readings on the low and high side are high, 55 on the low and

350 on the high. I was trained at a college to always increase the rpm under load and than add freon as needed per the readings. I can't even get the van under load because the readings on the high side go up to 400 and than the compressor cycles off.

I would agree this sounds like a restriction, if the comp was replaced the accumulator should have been replaced also, if not this could certainly be the cause of the restriction. The pressures should be tested off idle at around 1100 rpm the pressures will vary a bit depending on ambient temp ,but you should have around 25-28 on the low side and no more than 225-250 tops with the ambient below 80 and low humidity. Also the engine cooling fans should be running with the a/c to pull air across the condenser if the fans are not running than the pressures can also be high.

You right the fans are not coming on. I did like our answer,but would like to continue working on my fan problem. I am going go check the fuses. I checked all the fuses under the hood, i could not find the fuse box under the steering column. I seems like my the fans are not coming on. I have to fix this problem before continuing with the rest. I would like to contuinue working with you on this problem tomorrow.
Where is the inside fuse box located?

Could i get your vin number this will let me get the exact build info so i can pull up the correct diagrams.

The vin number is XXXXX you email me a digram of the fan circuit. My email address is [email protected]

graphic
graphic