Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F-250: turbo..problems starting..white smoke comes out of the exaust…

Customer Question
I have a F-250 7.3...
I have a F-250 7.3 turbo ford and just started to have problems starting in the morning when it does start it will start all day long. white smoke comes out of the exaust in the morning for just a second just wanting to know what to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ron W., Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron W.
Ron W., Ford Technician

Hi there,

This is a very common problem when the glow plug relay becomes burnt inside from arcing and then no longer allows the full current flow through the relay to the glow plugs.

This then give you the symptoms you have of lack of glow plug operation. It could also be some bad glow plugs, but on your vintage of truck the relay has to be replaced at least two times before you ever begin to have a bad glow plug.

You only want to replace the relay with a Ford part as the after market parts are generally low quality and don't last.

Let me know if this all makes sense and if you need anything further at all.

Sincerely,

Ron Wiggins