Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

bronco: Engine will start and run fine hotwired to starter relay..dies…

Customer Question
Ignition issue....82 bronco carbeurated....
Ignition issue....82 bronco carbeurated. Engine will start and run fine HOTWIRED to starter relay. With ignition wire connected using the key, it starts and as soon as you release the key it dies. So, under a hotwire start...running....reconnect ignition wire to starter relay and the engine dies. 351W carbeurated
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 day by:
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic

Hello, does this truck have the Dura Spark ignition system? A link to the ignition box is below. Let me know if your truck has this. If it does, then the most likely cause is a bad ignition module box. You will need to know what color the plastic is where the wires go into your module to get the correct one. This could also affect the price. Thanks

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=118554_0_15446_&skuDescription=Duralast+/+Control+Module+-+Igni tion&brandName=Duralast&displayName=Control+Module+-+Ignition&categoryNValue=&sortType=&store=1286&isSearchByPartNumber=&fromWhere=&fromString=&counter=2&itemId=29-0&navValue=16200029&filterByKeyWord=&productId=118554&searchText=&categoryDisplayName=&parentId=62-0

Has new ignition module, yes duraspark. Blue plastic where wires go into module.......

Check to see if you have power on the white and light blue wire on the ignition module with the key in the run position. Thanks
Ok, I will check now....

There is no white and light blue wire on the ignition module..

It would be that color on the truck wiring harness side of the connector. Depending on which module you have, it may be a solid red wire at the actual module.

I am not near the vehicle now. I am not sure if you completely understand my problem.....Currently I am using a hand held remote start push button switch (hot wired basically) to start the truck....and it runs great that way. In doing this, I have the ignition wire OFF the starter relay.

Now, if I reconnect that ignition wire to the starter relay(while the truck is already running) it kills the engine.

So, I have ignition in the run position on the key switch.

If you understood from the beginning, please don't be offended.....I just wanted to be clear.......THANKS!!

OK, does your starter solenoid have 1 or 2 small wires on it? I am not talking about the wires on the two big battery cable posts, but the small posts. Thanks

It has one wire going to it, which I have disconnected to run it. Connecting it will cause the engine to die.
What color is the wire? Also, has this just started doing this or is this something you just bought this way? Thanks
red with light blue stripe. Just started doing this
I will check the wiring diagram again and see what I can come up with. Just to make sure, this is a single wire on the small terminal of the starter solenoid on the fender right? Thanks
That is correct
Give me a few minutes, I am looking now.
ok
The red with light blue goes to the start side of the ignition switch. It then goes to the ignition module. What I would like for you to do is to pull the red with blue stripe wire out of the connector at the ignition module. Then reconnect the wire on the solenoid. Then I would like to know if it stalls when the solenoid is hooked up. This would tell us if the problem is in the wire from the solenoid to the switch. Thanks
ok, I will have to get back to you tomorrow after I try it
no problem.