Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Parked 1988 F150 4,9L would not start next day.

Customer Question
engine will turn over, tac...
parked 1988 F150 4,9L would not start next day. engine will turn over, tac goes up but immediately goes back to 0 and does not start
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/14/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Have you checked it for spark from the Coil?

Customer:

Not yet. As I stated i turned it off one evening and tried to start it the next day and the symptons i described occured.

Ron :

In most cases loss of the tack is due to no spark and this is usually caused by a failed ignition modual, and due to the age of the truck, it best to replace the stator along with the ignition modual.

Customer:

Replaced ignition modual 3 yrs. ago. Is it possible it could already need replacing. Used after market modual.

Ron :

Yes its very possiable and I would do both this time, take a 12 volt test light and see if it flashes on the negative side of the coil when cranking. If not replace it again. But also, on the 4.9, make sure the rotor is turning and the distributor drive gear pin hasnt sheared.

Ron :

Check it and let me know.

Customer:

Thanks,

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and let you know.

Ron :

Your welcome, Thank you as well.

Ron :

Did you replace both the modual and the stator?

Customer:

Did not replace stator.

Ron :

Due to the age of the truck its common practice to replace them both.

Customer:

will replace stator and let you know

Ron :

Ok, just return to this question. I will be here

Customer:

Removed dist. cap to install stator and found rotor broken. Got new rotor Was still going to replace stator but could not remove the the flat metal plate that goes on the shaft. Help, it's 95 plus degrees with a heat index of 100 plus and my wife says I'm getting cranky. By the way the new rotor did not solve problem and have not installed stator due to the plate not coming offf.

Ron :

The distributor has to come out and the shaft removed to replace the rotor.

Full Size Image