Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cranking..ran fine..it was idling again didnt die but when i..stalling…

Customer Question
I have 1996 Powerstroke the...
I have 1996 Powerstroke the truck was idling the other day when the weather was rainy and it just died. took a little bit of cranking to get it to start again but ran fine once it started again. few hours later it was idling again didnt die but when i began to drive it began stalling. it has only done it when it has been rainy or wet outside.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/13/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Can I get the vin# XXXXX the vehicle to see if there is a open FSA for this vehicle?

Does the rain effect it if its driven in the rain or even if it rained overnight and you started it up in the morning once it had stopped raining?

In the past the rain hasnt effected its running performance. It started doing it yesterday and it ran like usual other then it died when idling and took a little bit of cranking to get it to start again but after it started it ran fine the power was smooth and strong like normal. A couple hours later it was idling in the driveway while i ran in the house came back out and backed out of the drive way and started driving down the road in it started to miss and hickup to the point it died. i pulled over and like before it took a bit of cranking to get it to start, but once it started it ran fine and i drove it 85 miles out of town and never had another problem it started fine this morning after it raining over night. And has ran fine all day. The Vin # XXXXX
OK I checked and the CMP recall has been done, you however do still have a speed control recall needing to be performed. This however will not cause the concern your experiencing. Rain and or moisture is going to affect electrical connectors. Especially the one at the injector driver module and the one which plugs into the valve cover harness. I suggest you unplug both and blow them clean and dry with air and then add di electric grease to both sides prior to plugging back in.

If there is anymore assistance needed for this concern please ask, if not then please accept so I can remove you from my list of customers waiting on me