Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How do i activate my cruise control on a 2004 f-150

Customer Question
how do i activate my cruise control on a 2004 f-150
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/13/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Hello

Ron :

Are you asking how to turn it on?

Customer:

it didnt have the controls when i bought the truck. it came with another sterring wheel with the controls. i put that sterring wheel on and hooked it up but it doesnt work. do i have to go to a dealership for them to scan it

Ron :

Yes you may very well have to , does it have the rest of the system or did you just add a steering wheel . Does the truck have cruise control?

Customer:

not sure. i just changed out the sterring wheels and hooked up the wires inside the sterring wheel

Ron :

Well you are going to have to take the truck in and have it scanned, Here is how it works.

The speed control system is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM). The speed control system is designed to maintain a selected vehicle speed between 48 and 200 km/h (30 and 124 mph).

The speed control system is controlled by the steering wheel-mounted switches (ON, OFF, SET+, SET-, RESUME, and CANCEL), and the brake pedal. The steering wheel-mounted switches are backlit.

The speed control functions:

• turn on the speed control system

• set and maintain the desired vehicle speed

• accelerate the vehicle speed

• decelerate the vehicle speed

• tap-up/tap-down the vehicle speed

• resume the prior vehicle speed

• turn off the vehicle speed control system

• cancel the speed control

Pressing and releasing the ON switch turns the system on. Pressing and releasing the SET+ or SET- switch while the vehicle is traveling at the desired speed activates the system. The vehicle maintains the desired speed.

Tapping the SET+ or SET- buttons, while in the set mode respectively, increases or decreases the maintained vehicle speed by 2 km/h (1 mph) per tap. If the respective button is pressed and held, the vehicle speed continues to accelerate or decelerate until the button is released.

Pressing and releasing the OFF switch, or positioning the ignition switch in the OFF position, turns the speed control off. Pressing the brake pedal or pressing the CANCEL button puts the system in the STANDBY mode. Pressing the RESUME button, when the system is in STANDBY mode causes the vehicle to accelerate or decelerate until the last set speed is resumed. Resume does not function if the OFF button is pressed, the ignition switch is in the OFF position, or if the current vehicle speed is below the minimum operational speed.

Whenever the speed control system is engaged and active, a speed control illuminator is set.

The inputs to the PCM for the speed control system are the:

• anti-lock brake system (ABS) module

• digital transmission range (TR) sensor

• speed control deactivator switch

• brake pedal position (BPP) switch

• speed control switches

• throttle position sensor (TPS)

The outputs from the PCM for the speed control system are the:

• instrument cluster

• throttle command

The speed control system does not require an electronic actuator for electronic throttle control (ETC) vehicles. Throttle position is completely controlled by the PCM through the electronic throttle stepper motor. Speed control electronics are contained entirely within the ETC subsystem.

When the speed control is active, the electronic actuator corrects for deviations in the actual vehicle speed by proportionally moving through the throttle plate. The control electronics modulate the throttle to minimize error between actual vehicle speed and the desired speed.

The PCM strategy uses the engine control for smooth accelerations. In instances where the vehicle tends to exceed set speed, the PCM invokes an engine braking strategy and the transmission may downshift to help maintain the desired vehicle speed.

The PCM sends a requested standard corporate protocol (SCP) vehicle speed control set speed status (enable/disable) whenever the speed control set telltale should be turned ON or OFF.

The driver commands the speed control system by pressing steering-wheel mounted switches. The steering wheel switches are hardwired to the PCM.

The speed control system operates in the following modes:

• ON

• OFF

• SET

• SET+/TAP UP

• SET-/TAP DOWN

• HARD DEACTIVATE

• SOFT DEACTIVATE

• STANDBY

When the speed control is in the ON mode, and the PCM receives a SET+ or SET- switch input, the speed control system enters into the SET mode and maintains present vehicle speed (provided the vehicle speed is within the system operating range). When the PCM receives a SET+ switch input, the speed control system will accelerate the vehicle 1.00 to 1.68 mph/second (on level roads). The speed control system continues to accelerate the vehicle until the switch is no longer depressed and then will maintain that vehicle speed. If the duration of the switch input is less than 640ms the speed control system will increase vehicle speed by 2 km/h (1 mph). When the system is in the standby mode, and a RESUME switch input is received, the speed control subsystem transitions into SET mode and modifies vehicle speed to resume the last SET vehicle speed, provided the speed control system has previously been in the SET mode subsequent to the key on last cycle.

When the PCM receives a SET- switch input, the speed control system will decrease vehicle speed 1.00 to 1.68 mph/second (on level roads). Once the switch is no longer pressed, the speed control system ceases vehicle deceleration and maintains present vehicle speed. If the duration of the switch input is less than 640ms, the speed control system will decrease vehicle speed by 2 km/h (1 mph).

In the event of an OFF command or a deactivation request from any source, except the cancel switch and brake pedal tap, the system will carry out a hard deactivation and immediately return the throttle to the idle position.

In the event of CANCEL switch input, the system will deactivate and return the throttle to the idle position at a smooth and controlled rate.

The speed control system provides self-diagnostics. Speed control is disabled anytime an error is detected in the system. No cluster telltale or message center messages are displayed when faults occur. Fault codes will be logged by the PCM.