Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Idles..dies..the vehicle is warmed up it runs good

Customer Question
When vehicle is started it...
When vehicle is started it idles for about a minute or so then it starts to spudder until it dies off. Truck is started again then it spudders and accelator is depressed to hold the idle up. Once the vehicle is warmed up it runs good. As we are driving down the road it starts to spudder after about 5-10 miles it begins to spudder again like it is losing power. Then we have to depress the throtlle and then it will pick up again. We have changed a few different parts on this truck such as the fuel filter, fuel regulator, injector O-rings, EEC-IV module, spark plugs and wires, distibutor cap, rotor. We sent it in to be put on the diagonostic machine and the results were everything was running okay also had the charging system inspected and that too came out find. And the problem is still there. Can you please help us figure out what could be the problem or maybe there is something we need to change or check. Also check to see that all wiring is tightly secured.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/13/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, have you done a fuel pressure test?
Yes the diagnostic mechanic said all was in working condition.
this problem strongly points out to the fuel pump can you ask the tech/ what was the fuel pressure he got from the rail, and has he check the egr function?
May I asked what is the egr function?
the egr is the EXHAUST GAS RESIRCULATION , this valve will recirculate gases back in to the intake to help atomize fuel better and maintain combustion chamber cooler this egr is only allowed to work at hi rpm and its control by vacuum load from the intake but sometimes when it actuates at hi rpm it gets stuck there and wont close and then when the engine comes back to normal idle it will hesitate and give just about the same symptoms you are experiencing.
Where is this  egr valve located not familiar with this?
ok i will first need the engine size and model of this vehicle.
f-150 4x4 351 5.8 L (lightning  model)
what year is it?