Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Have a 2006 ford fusion 4cyl and Im getting a secondary air

Have a 2006 ford fusion 4cyl and I’m getting a secondary air injection code PO491. I have water in my hoses. The hoses have no leaks the air pump works. The air valve that is vacuum controlled works when we put vacuum to it. We did change switch that sends the vacuum to the air valve because that didn’t work. We had power and vacuum to that switch but the switch didn’t work. We put the light out got the car inspected two days later light came back on. What can this be? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is caused by a secondary air diverter valve, the pump will come on, and the switch will work, but no air flows throught he diverter valve, thus the computer does not see a change in the o2 sensor values and sets the light, this is common, replace the secondary diverter valve in the tube to the exhaust,Tim