AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

ford f150 2001 passenger window will go down but not up. Its

ford f150 2001 passenger window will go down but not up. Its not the lift motor. no voltage to motor on up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Hello!

There is a simple way to check. You will have to remove the inside door panel. Take things apart carefully until u see the two wires that go to the motor. with a test light that you can buy at a local auto store connect either end to the wires that go to the motor. Turn the key on and try to move the window up and down via switch. If the test light, lights up both ways and the window does not move u have a bad motor. If the test light does not light up than you could have a bad switch or you could be missing a power or ground.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hey i already have been that far. I took apart the panel, disconnected the two wires, tested voltage ( 7.65vdc on down, 0 vdc on up ) neither side door switch will send power to roll window up. Is it possible one switch could effect both. Are they fused seperately. I am a HVACR tech so I know enough to be dangerous. Thank YOU.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Here is a wiring diagram. You are going to want to make sure that both of the wires from the switch are switch from positive to negative when you hit the window switch up and down. If the window switch is not sending out a power or a ground to the window motor it is bad. HOwever you are just going to want to make sure that the window switch has the correct powers and grounds to do so.

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If I place my meter with the motor connected between the bk ground and rd/yw and press up I get 12vdc from both door switches but the window will not go up. Between the bk ground and yw/rd down and press down I get 12vdc and the window goes down.

Across the yw/rd and the rd/yw at the motor I get 12vdc on down and 0 vdc on up. To get the window back up I disconnect the motor plug and reverse the wires and the motor works and the window goes up. This may be the doozy of your day?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Ok... it sounds like you are just missing a ground. Either your passenger side window switch is bad, (or it has a bad ground) or the master window switch is bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a way to test the switches? How do you ohm them out ? I hate just buying switches. Which ground do I check?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a fluke 116 multimeter.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Ok... we need to test both wires for power and ground that come from the switch to the window motor. DO you know how to do that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes tell me what to do.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Ok... put your negative lead on battery ground. Then touch your positive lead to both of the wire. you should get battery voltage on your voltmeter from one of the wires when you press the switch in one of the directions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

with the black lead to negative on battery; with red lead on rd/yw up wire i get

+12 vdc pressing up

+2.2 vdc pressing down

with red lead on yw/rd down wire i get

+12vdc pressing up

+12vdc pressing down

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Ok... now take the red lead and put it on battery positive and check the two wires again with the window switch in the up and down position.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Try grounding the yellow and red wire while holding the window switch in the up position... it should go up.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Or try grounding the red with yellow wire while you are holding the window switch in the up position. One of the ways the the window should go up.

Edited by AMEDEE on 6/12/2010 at 1:43 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

on the up wire no button pushed +12vdc

0vdc pressing up

+12vdc pressing down

on the down wire no button pushed +12vdc

0vdc pressing either up or down

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
I have a feeling you are just missing a ground... it is going to be from the passenger side switch or the master switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry man, thanks for the help

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Did it work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you say i am missing a ground is that the ground to the switch? on the passenger side?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
I think either the passenger side window switch is not suppling a ground or the master window switch is not supplying a ground. I have seen it a million times.

I am going to be off line until tomorrow. I will leave this question open for other experts so that you may still continue to get help if you need. I can always pick up were it was left off tomorrow.