Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

egr and it moves freely but the truck still smokes out of the exhaust…

Customer Question
i cleaned the egr and...
i cleaned the egr and it moves freely but the truck still smokes out of the exhaust,,any ideas
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/11/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Are you getting a black or white smoke?

Does it smoke all the time or under certain circumstances?

black smoke at idle and more as im on the gas
Black smoke is a sign of the EGR valve not moving, even though you attempted to clean it, it still most likely is not moving freely. Another source of black smoke is unburnt fuel from clogged and or weak fuel injectors not spraying the fuel well enough to get the fuel to fully ignite. You diagnose this concern using a scan tool and running a power balance test to see if one or more cylinders are not contributing 100%, indicating a bad injector on said cylinder(s).