Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1981ford mustang 3.3 six . 21000 miles.

Customer Question
I recently bought this car...
1981ford mustang 3.3 six . 21000 miles. I recently bought this car and it has been running fine. It just started to quit running when starting from a dead stop. I just today installed a new fuel filter but it made no differnce. Do you have any idea about this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/11/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the engine die when you try to take off? does it start right back up?
You need to respond to this question, notopen a new one. It sounds like the accellerator pump in the carb is bad, this gives the engine an initial suirt of fuel when taking off, to verify this, remove the air cleaner, turn Off the car, and manually pump the gas and see if it is squirting into the carb, if not, the carb will need to be overhauled,Tim