Ford Expert
Ford Expert, Shop Foreman, Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Certified in, Advanced Engine Performance, Advanced Electronics,
1759573

1996 ford f150: driven..just fine and idles just fine but when I..dies

Customer Question

I have a 1996 ford f150 that I don't drive much any more. It has been about 6 months sence I have driven it , It will start just fine and idles just fine but when I put it in gear to drive it , it dies out . After it dies out it is realy hard to start . In order to get it started i have to hold the throttle to the floor. Note , it will idle until I turn it off.

ThanksCustomer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford Expert replied 8 years ago.

How old is the gas in the tank? Does the check engine light come on?

Have you tried adding fresh gasoline? This engine has a MAF sensor located in the inlet tube and can become contaminated. It can be cleaned with an approved MAF sensor cleaner. If there not a check engine light you can unplug the MAF sensor to see if it makes a difference, it will set a code. Which is why I asked if the light was on. let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did not try fresh gas. But I did add an octane booster to both takes and have been letting it idle off and on for about 5 min at atime in hopes that that would help. And there is no light on.

2) things. First I would clean the MAf sensor as previously suggested. And use some injector in the fuel tank at a higher concentration than recommended. It sound like the engine is starving for fuel.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

sorry i have not replied back work took me away. i tried what you said with the maf sensor. and there was no change. i can rev the engine up as much as i want and as fast as i want

but as soon as it goes in gear it dies out.