Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

loosing a quart of oil in 150 miles of freeway driving..MPH...block…

Customer Question
I am loosing a quart...
I am loosing a quart of oil in 150 miles of freeway driving at 65 MPH. Plugs are clean and it doesn't loose any during the week in town. If it sets 3 or 4 days there is a 6 inch diameter wet spot under it between the block and transmission. Rear main seal has been replaced with no luck. Where to next?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/11/2010
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Sounds like the back of the intake manifold gasket is leaking due to pressure build up. I would crawl up on top of the engine and look at the block just behind the lower intake manifold and see if there are traces of oil present. If so after having the gaskets replaced I would go through the PCV system checking the valve and all the plumbing for any signs of deterioration or restriction. If the PCV system can't breathe properly, eventually at highway speeds with sustained rpm the crankcase can build pressure and force oil past the gasket. I have also seen this condition blow out oil pan gaskets.

PVC valve has been replaced. There is talk about earlier years being relocated on the intake. The plugs look so clean, its not burning it. I suspected the rear intake seal at the block. Isn't there another filter associated with the pvc as well that should be changed?

Thank you

Blair

Its not just the valve, you also need to inspect the hoses and port on the intake. I have never seen the filter on the truck engines just the car. I have never heard of the PCV being relocated on the intake. I have also seen guys get rid of the rear intake valley gasket and use strait silicone, They take a sharp punch and stake along the gasket surfaces on the block and the intake. It seems like a good idea the staking would really help the silicone gasket from blowing out.