Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F-150: four wheel drive..I stopped, the front brake..possible problems…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 For...
I have a 2004 For F-150 four wheel drive. Today, it started shaking a bit and when I stopped, the front brake was smoking. Is this a common problem and what are the possible problems? It has the ABS brake system of course. I owned a Chevy (yeck) that did the same thing and it cost a LOT to fix... Hopefully this isnt the case now.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/11/2010
Ford Mechanic: Steve S, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Hi there The most common cause would be that the caliper is sticking or is seized. I would remove that wheel and remove the caliper and inspect the slides and make sure they are nice and free and lubricated. If they are I would make sure that the piston pushes back into the caliper nicely. But this is where you should be headed. And even if it is a caliper it is not really that expenssive. Thanks and let me know how you make out. Thanks steve
Thank you Steve... That was kind of what I was thinking, but wasnt sure with all of the new electronics and everything on the ABS systems. I wanted to make sure before I got in over my head.