Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 Ford Focus: auto trans..cooler..you change the pan filters…

Customer Question
On a 2006 Ford Focus...
On a 2006 Ford Focus with the electrical-non hydraulics actuation auto trans can you change fluid, by simply running the motor and draining through the rad cooler lines.

How often do you change the pan filters ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/10/2010
Ford Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

You will need a fluid exchange machine to replace the trans fluid in the manner you are describing, It will install new fluid at the same time the old fluid is removed so that the pump does not run dry. This service is $100 to $150 at most shops.

The filter should be replaced every 60,000 miles and calls for 1.1 hours labor to replace but the filter lists for $30

This transmission uses 6.6 quarts of Mercon 5 so a small 12 quart flush with a BG type machine will exchange all the fluid. You can find a BG machine at BGfindashop.com

Let me know if you have further questions about this

Thank you