Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 F350: 4x4..stalled..second, my engine light came..way home…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 F350...
I have a 2002 F350, 7.3L, 4x4. Gettin on the inerstate and stalled witha knowck for a second, my engine light came on and continued this every so often, I kept it at 1800rpms at about 60mph and made it to work. After turning off at work then back on engine light was off, but repeated same process on the way home. Doesnt seem like it is the fuel pump, seems to be getting enough fuel, but what else should I look at? Thanks for your help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/10/2010
Ford Mechanic: connor75, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician
Sounds like a case of a bad Cam sensor, there is a campaign going on through Ford, have you recieved the letter, or had the sensor changed?

Hey Connor, Man thanks for the help with your response, I need it! I had the fuel pump under the driver side replaced in the fall of 08, and I believe he replaced the sensor first, thinkin that was the issue. It was the sensor that is right on the front towards the bottom of the block, if thats the one your talkin about.

Thats the one, but the campaign through Ford wasn't until after that, and if the sensor is not the revised sensor, same issue, stall then restart, and setting a 340 code. Can you have the code read so we know what it is?
Can they read that at any parts store? If so, then I look for a 340 code on the reading and that means cam sensor, is that right? Another thing I thought, would it have anything to do with a fuel filter, injector pump, water fuel seperator, anything like that, and will that show up on a code reading as well?

If the code is 340 then cam sensor it is, Autozone will read the code for you not sure of other stores. Typically fuel concerns will not show codes, if they do it'll be ICP greater or lower than expected, so if it just stalls and starts right back up i'm sticking with a cam sensor.

Took it to autozone and they rad it and it said pass, no codes were read. I put a new fuel filter and air filter in it while I was there. I drove back to the house, which is about 30 miles, and it didnt do anything, seemed to run fine, no engine light no flash second hesitation while riding down the road. thought maybe that cleaned it up. On my way to work this mornin, it did it again, not as extreme of a knock or hesitation, but it did it 2x and the engine light came back on.

When you say did it again, do you mean stall?
Did it this mornin on the way to work. Stall could be a way to describe it I quess, its only for a half second maybe though, not long, it could do it 2 or 3 times consecutively in a row. Sounds like a knock noise, but that could just be the engine loosing power for a half second, it doesnt sound like its something inside the motor itself knocking, just cuts out for a half second or so but not off. It usually has happened when I go to accelerate, not everytime, but most times, or when I go to push past 1800-2000 rpms, around 57-63 mph.
What this sounds like is a concern with the injector driver module or IDM, now the autozone can't perform an injector click test, and actually access the codes in this module which I suspect is what is turning the check engine light on. This explains why the light is coming on, but the scanner is telling you there are no codes, at this point you need a shop or dealer with a capable scan tool to perform testing on the IDM.