Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1990 taurus: got jump cables inverted while jump starting..replacing…

Customer Question
1990 taurus got jump cables...
1990 taurus got jump cables inverted while jump starting. Engine will not start. What likely need replacing beside battery ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/10/2010
Ford Mechanic: Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
You will need to check your main fuses if you crossed the jumpers you probably blew the main power fuse.Please let me know what you find,Don
Please give me a pointer for finding the location of the main fuses: under the hood? driver side? next to what component? inside the car under dashboard?
First check the main fuse link.It is located on the firewall near the battery.You can trace the positive cable to the relay.Attached to the relay is the fuse link.It is a black/orange wire and after the fuse link it goes to yellow.This sends power to the rest of the car.Good luck,Don
The fuse was ok and the car will crank and start briefly but cannot run.I tested the ecm controller that supplies ground pulse to the injectors by grounding one of the injector solenoid wires: injectors work but the ecm does not. My diagnostic is that the car has an older non original starter solenoid that does not offer surge protection to the circuit and could have contributed to frying the ecm in conjunction with reversed polarity as mentioned in original message. I cannot find a replacement ecm. I think I am going to junk the car.
You may want to see if there is an LKQ store in your area they have access to hundreds of cars all over the United States,good luck,Don