Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Ford Expedition: 2wd..4.6, std suspension..fuel level..guage…

Customer Question
Hello, I am now working on...
I am now working on a 2000 Ford Expedition, 2wd 4.6, std suspension. The fuel level guage is not working. Customer had a new pump installed at another shop about a month ago. We dropped the tank and checked the sender. Ohmed out fine and worked properly. Even tried a new fuel pump module just to be sure. Wiring seems to be fine. If the sender is at the empty position and you start the truck it will register empty. If it is half way and you start the truck it will stay at half way. If it is in full up position and the truck is started it will stay in full! Was told thwe GEM modules are usually the culprit. Replaced that and still does the same thing. Any ideas??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/9/2010
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try my best to help you with your question.

All this testing, was it done with the fuel pump module out of the tank?

Also, after installing the pump back into the tank, did the guage not register the fuel level?

Let me get back to you. It appears it may be a very....very slow reacting guage as we are now getting some movement.
If the gauge is the problem, the complete instrument cluster must be replaced. The fuel guage is not available by itself. Also the cluster must be programmed to the vehicle before it will ok. It is a module within itself and it must be programmed to communicate with the other modules in the Expedition so they can share information and they will work properly.