Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

97 ford taurus: battery light..doesnt work..speedometer..drives fine…

Customer Question
I replaced the starter on...
I replaced the starter on my 97 ford taurus and now the battery light is on, the radio doesn't work or the speedometer. It starts and drives fine.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/8/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Hello!

Check the wiring to the starter bolts. I believe there is a ground strap that needs to be connected to one of the starter starter in order for everything to work properly;y. If not, then just check battery voltage with the engine at idle. IT should be close to 14 volts.
There are 2 terminals on the starter. one is pre-wired to the selenoid, one for the power that goes to the battery (posative) and the ignition wire. I do not know of any ground strap. the audio fuse is blown. I disconnected the posative wire and re-connected it and still no audio, speedometer and battery light remains on.
What is the battery voltage at idle?
I can't say I'm a backyard mechanic
Do you have a voltmeter?
no
Can you get a voltmeter?
No. i have other information though. during the process of testing the battery i was alerted that there was a power surge while i was reattaching the battery. possibly crossing the terminals. I found that the radio does not work due to a blown fuse and am assuming that the speedometer has the same problem. does the speedometer run off its own fuse because all the other gauges work. Is this a fairly easy correctable problem and how do i fix this???
I can look it up for you. Can you get me your vin number?
yes. it is

IFALP52U2VG275394
Ok.. hand on.. let me check..

Also, I was trying to say earlier, is that there might be a ground strap that is supposed ot be connected to one of the starter bolts. If this was accidentally left off, it can cause all sorts of electrical issue.
i have checked the setup of the starter and there is no ground strap on this particular vehicle
Ok... It looks like the VSS signal is not fused to the computer. Check the AC voltage output from the vehicle speed sensor. To do this check the voltage between the White/Black and Blue wires at the vehicle speed sensor. Voltage should steadily increase as the wheel speed increases and at 30 MPH should read somewhere around 2v AC. If voltage is not correct, re-check with the sensor disconnected and check between the sensor terminals.
I have no way of checking the voltage as i have no voltmeter is there any way i can visually check if it is functioning properly? is this most likely going to need to replace the vehicle speed sensor and how much does that cost?
The vehicle speed sensor itself is not that much.It is an electric sensor. Short of looking at it to be sure its not damaged, you need to use a multimeter to check it. Just be sure the wiring is in good shape and the sensor is ok. BE sure that the connector is connected and everything is in place.
I am afraid you technical suggestions are beyond by capabilities. Looks like the posc (piece of shit car) is going in the shop.
Well, I was just trying to help. Let me know if you have any further questions!

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE