A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

MY 1998 FORD F-150 TURNS OVER BUT WILL NOT START. BATTERY SEEMS

MY 1998 FORD F-150 TURNS OVER BUT WILL NOT START. BATTERY SEEMS OK, JUST WON'T FIRE...ANY SUGGESTIONS TO CHECK? MY EMAIL [email protected] THANK YOU
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try my best to help you with your question.

You will need to check and see if you have no fuel or no spark.

To test for fuel, on the metal fuel lines for the fuel injectors there is a test port called a schrader valve. It looks like a tire valve stem. push the needle down and see if you get a big spray of fuel.

As for spark, remove one spark plug and coil and plug the coil back in and put the spark plug into the coil and stand it upside down. Crank the engine over and see if you get a bright blue/white spark.

Let me know what one is missing, fuel or spark.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am not a mechanic...please tell me where to look for the schrader valve..the owner manual does not reference it..also a little more description about checking the battery cable woulde be helpful.

No problem. We can take our time. I'll explain things better.

The schrader valve is located on the passenger side of the engine on the intake manifold. It is near the back side of the fuel rails near the fire wall under the coolant hoses.

graphic

If the engine cranks over, the battery cables are ok. just make sure they are clean with no corrosion.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

FOUND THE VALVE HIDDEN UNDER A HOSE. DID GET A SPRAY OF GAS. NEXT?

Ok. Do you have spark plug wires or coils on each plug?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE PLUG WIRES PLUG INTO ORANGE CAPS ON THE SIDE OF THE PLUG-DO NOT SEE A PLUG AT ALL-IT IS COVERED.
The plugs are under the plug wires in the cylinder heads. Pull one plug wire out, one you can reach, and then remove the spark plug. They will require a 5/8" spark plug socket to remove the spark plug.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I CANNOT GET THE PLUG OUT. THE ENGINE IS NOT FIRING AT ALL--THE STARTER JUST TURNS OVER AND OVER.

If you have a spare spark plug, instead of removing the one in the engine, take a spare spark plug and put it into the plug wire and crank the engine over. You should get a bright blue spark at the plug.

we know you have fuel pressure, now we are checking for spark. The engine needs fuel and spark or it will just spin over like your engine is.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THERE ARE METAL BRACES HOLDING THE METAL TUBING DOWN THAT HOLDS THE PLUGS DOWN. I CANT GET THIS OFF-THEREFORE I CAN'T PULL THE PLUG WIRE OFF THE PLUG. SORRY I AM SO DIFFICULT. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS???
The metal tubes are for the fuel injectors, they do not have to be removed. The plug wires will pull around them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE ORANGE CAPS ARE RIGID AND WILL NOT BUDGE-THE WIRES PLUG INTO THIS. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO GET THE TOP OFF OF THE SPARKPLUG...SORRY

the Orange caps are the fuel injectors.

Your engine has coil overs. There are coils on top of the spark plugs. The coils are black and round at the top.

graphic

They are held down by one 7mm bolt.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU. XXXXX SPARK..NEXT?

When you turn the key to on, the check engine light should come on.

When you crank the engine over (try to start the truck) the check engine light should go off.

See if it does this.

The check engine light is on the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON WHEN TRYING TO START
Your problem is a bad crankshaft position sensor. It is located on the front of the engine on the passenger side by the crankshaft pulley. You will have to remove the serpentine belt and unbolt the AC compressor to replace the sensor. You do not have to remove the refrigerant from the AC system, just remove the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the AC compressor to the engine. Once the AC compressor bolts are removed, slide the compressor away from the engine and you can unbolt the crankshaft position sensor.