Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

2006 Ford F-150: My parking brake light stays on all the time

I have a 2006 Ford F-150. My parking brake light stays on all the time. I checked the switch at the parking brake and it is working fine. I removed the switch and checked that there was no binding and I checked its operation with a meter and it was good. Is there some additional sensor in the parking brake system I should check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
Do you mean the red brake warning light is always on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, the red warning light in the dash.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
This light is also a warning light for brake problems,check the fluid level in the master cylinder it may be low and this will turn on the red warning lamp also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've checked the brake fluid level and there is no problem there. I have not seen any evidence of brake fluid leak around any of the slave cylinders or the master cylinder. To my knowledge the brakes are working normally and if I hit the brakes hard the anti-lock brake system appears to be functioning normally as it feels like it always does when the anit-lock brakes kick in.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
Try unplugging th e low fluid warning switch at the master cylinder to see if the light goes out,if not,these are the only two things in that circuit,if the light stays on there must be short in the wiring between the instrument cluster and either of these switches.