AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1994 ford ranger 4cyl 2.3 timing belt replacement have tried

Customer Question

1994 ford ranger 4cyl 2.3 timing belt replacement have tried both positions for setting timing will crank but not fire. Both crankshaft positions and lined the cam and aux up to their correct positions. Ps battery is now flat
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

Line up the timing marks correctly the way they should be and lets diagnose this no start condition. Lets be sure the engine has spark fuel and compression. If there is spark and compression, then this thing should run on starting fluid. If there is spark but no compression, then we will have to investigate further into the engine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes need more info have spark, fuel, compression etc and have just tried replacing the crank position sensor.......... had the ignition control module checked the day the belt broke it checked out fine 3 times
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Ok.. good!

What is the compression at?

Does it run with starting fluid?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

cyl 1-110 cyl-2-110 cyl-3-95 cyl-4-105 starting fluid ???

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Why is cylinder number three low on compression?

Yeah... try spraying starting fluid into the intake and see if she fires up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will try gasoline from a rag into carborator..... was made redundant two weeks ago with no holiday pay and 1 days notice and no severence and so trying to do this myself to cut costs
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
I would not recommend using a rag soaked with gas....I would just use starting fluid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have starting fluid and the gas down the carborator was a no go
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
And we are sure that we have spark?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we had spark on tuesday when the belt first broke some guy stopped and helped me beside the road. it was his suggestion to check the ignition control module. it was not until later we discovered that the timing belt was broken. have plenty of gas coming trough from the fuel pump. tried bleeding it incase it had low pressure enough pressure to shoot the open hood. this guy who stoped and helped me did indicate that he could not find a spark on clylendar 1 plug set number 1 though
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
So no spark.... is that correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well he said i had spark in all bar 1 of the 8 plugs
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
I would just double check for spark on all cylinders. If the engine has spark, then it should run with starting fluid. If not, then the valve timing is off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will go and check the spark again as soon as the wife gets up. am pretty sure that i have the valve timing right key way crankshaft dead at 12, aux at 12 and camshaft at indicator about 5 was dead on just not sure with the crank shaft position sensor which 12 is the right one for the compression and ehaust stroke or does this not matter?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
It should not matter... which way it is lined up will detemine if its on the compression stoke or the exhaust stroke.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok will check spark when wife gets up......... question when i plugged up the new crankshaft position sensor the battery was still connected this would not have damaged it?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
No... that should not cause the crank sensor to go bad...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
refresh my memory to check spark .....use a screw driver in the plug coil thingee and touch the lead to the shaft of the screwdriver with just enough gap to see a visable spark
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Disconnect #1 ignition wire at the spark plug.
Install a spark tester into the end of the spark plug boot.
Have an assistant crank the engine over and check for spark at the tester.
Repeat this process at each spark plug.
If any cylinder does not show spark, proceed to secondary component tests.
If ALL secondary components show no spark, test components individually.
If all cylinders test O.K., inspect for fouled spark plugs and clean or replace as necessary.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry you had to work so hard for your money and thanks for the time
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the accept!

Good luck!