Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1994 ford ranger 4cyl 2.3 timing belt replacement have tried

Customer Question
both positions for setting timing...
1994 ford ranger 4cyl 2.3 timing belt replacement have tried both positions for setting timing will crank but not fire. Both crankshaft positions and lined the cam and aux up to their correct positions. Ps battery is now flat
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
5/3/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello!

Line up the timing marks correctly the way they should be and lets diagnose this no start condition. Lets be sure the engine has spark fuel and compression. If there is spark and compression, then this thing should run on starting fluid. If there is spark but no compression, then we will have to investigate further into the engine.

Yes need more info have spark, fuel, compression etc and have just tried replacing the crank position sensor.......... had the ignition control module checked the day the belt broke it checked out fine 3 times

Ok.. good!

What is the compression at?

Does it run with starting fluid?

cyl 1-110 cyl-2-110 cyl-3-95 cyl-4-105 starting fluid ???

Why is cylinder number three low on compression?

Yeah... try spraying starting fluid into the intake and see if she fires up.

will try gasoline from a rag into carborator..... was made redundant two weeks ago with no holiday pay and 1 days notice and no severence and so trying to do this myself to cut costs
I would not recommend using a rag soaked with gas....I would just use starting fluid.
I don't have starting fluid and the gas down the carborator was a no go
And we are sure that we have spark?
we had spark on tuesday when the belt first broke some guy stopped and helped me beside the road. it was his suggestion to check the ignition control module. it was not until later we discovered that the timing belt was broken. have plenty of gas coming trough from the fuel pump. tried bleeding it incase it had low pressure enough pressure to shoot the open hood. this guy who stoped and helped me did indicate that he could not find a spark on clylendar 1 plug set number 1 though
So no spark.... is that correct?
well he said i had spark in all bar 1 of the 8 plugs
I would just double check for spark on all cylinders. If the engine has spark, then it should run with starting fluid. If not, then the valve timing is off.
will go and check the spark again as soon as the wife gets up. am pretty sure that i have the valve timing right key way crankshaft dead at 12, aux at 12 and camshaft at indicator about 5 was dead on just not sure with the crank shaft position sensor which 12 is the right one for the compression and ehaust stroke or does this not matter?
It should not matter... which way it is lined up will detemine if its on the compression stoke or the exhaust stroke.
ok will check spark when wife gets up......... question when i plugged up the new crankshaft position sensor the battery was still connected this would not have damaged it?
No... that should not cause the crank sensor to go bad...
refresh my memory to check spark .....use a screw driver in the plug coil thingee and touch the lead to the shaft of the screwdriver with just enough gap to see a visable spark

Disconnect #1 ignition wire at the spark plug.
Install a spark tester into the end of the spark plug boot.
Have an assistant crank the engine over and check for spark at the tester.
Repeat this process at each spark plug.
If any cylinder does not show spark, proceed to secondary component tests.
If ALL secondary components show no spark, test components individually.
If all cylinders test O.K., inspect for fouled spark plugs and clean or replace as necessary.

graphic

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
sorry you had to work so hard for your money and thanks for the time

Thanks for the accept!

Good luck!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN