Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2000 ford windstar: lx..wont start..battery full, starter has power

Customer Question
My 2000 ford windstar lx...
My 2000 ford windstar lx wont start. has power. battery full, starter has power. cant figure out why it all of a sudden wont start?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
4/18/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Hello!

Are you saying the starter and the starter solenoid have power with the key in the "crank" position?
Yes. however the starter will not turn over.
Well if this is the case, either the starter is bad, engine is locked up or the engine block does not have a good ground.
The starter works when i put a screwdriver across the solenoid, but when i crank the key over the starter does not work.
Oh.. so there is no power to the starter solenoid?
Not from the ignition key, but there is power from the battery to the starter and it will turn over when you cross the solenoid post. but the starter does not engage the engine.
Ok.. you could have a bad transmission range sensor.

DO you know where the starter relay is located?
No.
Ok.. the starter relay is located in the battery junction block. The starter relay is located on the lower right hand side. Here is a picture.

graphic

We need to pull this relay out and check for power on two pins or two cavities with the key in the "crank" position.
Ok there is power and starter relay sensor is making a clicking sound.
Ok.. pull the relay out and check to see how many pins have power with the key in the "crank" position.
None of the cavities have power when we pull the sensor in the crank position!
I am not talking about on the relay, but the 4 cavities on the relay box or fuse box that the relay pins plug into
tried again and there is power coming from north and south slots when in crank position. in the slots in the fuse box. we were not trying the switch but the cavities in the box after we pulled the starter relay switch
tried again and there is power coming from north and south slots when in crank position
Ok... good!

So the relay is getting two powers with the key in the crnak position... is that correct? It still clicks when you install the relay back into its place and try to start the engine?
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN