Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F250: blowing..black smoke..you can hear the turbo growl..mileage

Customer Question
My Ford F250 6.0 2004...
My Ford F250 6.0 2004 is blowing black smoke and starts to get loud when I sut the truck off you can hear the turbo growl, it seems to take for ever for it to shift from one gear to another and mileage has gone way down.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
4/14/2010
Ford Mechanic: RJ, Ford Technician replied 7 years ago
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer. Have you had any repairs in the last year ? Do you have a scanner ? How many miles on your six o ?

No have not had any repairs the truck only has 48000 miles on it and no check engine light has come on. so can the scanner still tell if there is a problem?

RJ

it also seems to be shifting late and never gets to the last gear until I let off the pedal and then push it again then it goes into the last gear.

If you have a scanner that can only check for codes than this may not help , but is still a starting point. If you think the turbo growls to much when shut off then you should check the turbine shaft for excessive play , check this by removing the air intake tubes to the turbo inlet and then move the turbine by hand there should be little to no play up / down / left / right . If that is ok then a scanner will be required. Black smoke can be caused by so many different items on this truck that telling you just one item to replace based on a symptom would not be fair to you or very accurate. Common components that cause black smoke and a lack of power are, turbo stuck, egr valve stuck, low fuel pressure, restricted exhaust, low compression,blown intercooler, exhaust leaks. All these require a advanced scan tool to diagnose. You could also remove the egr valve and inspect for carbon holding the valve open , and clean as required. The egr valve is located just to the right of the oil filter . I would also replace the fuel filters if not done in the last 15,000 miles.
ok so how do I get the EGR valve out I took the bolts out but man it's like stuck do you have to turn it in order to get it out of there.
The valve actually has a special tool to remove the valve without damage, however i have never used it. I use a seal puller or a heel bar and gently pry it out as straight as possible. If you pry crooked it will bend and be damaged. If there is alot of carbon built up on the valve it will be a bit tough to get out.
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
RJ
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician