Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1998 ford: antifreeze..housing..a metal coolent tube in that area

1998 ford ei50 4.6 engine...
1998 ford ei50 4.6 engine antifreeze leak coming from back of engine draining down transmission housing. there is a metal coolent tube in that area.
4/2/2010
david
david, Auto Service Technician
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

There are the hater tubes that run from the water pump to the heater core but they do not go behind the engine.

What is more then likely happening is the Intake manifold gasket is leaking vary common problem. Do to the engine being slightly lower in the back the water runs down the head and out the back onto the transmission.

If you need the Intake manifold removal and install instructions Just ask.

Hope this helps
Good luck

Edited by david on 4/2/2010 at 8:01 AM EST
Thank you for the answer and I would like instructions on removal and install instructions . Thank you
  1. Remove the engine cover.
  2. Disconnect the fuel hose spring lock coupling.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  4. Drain the cooling system.
  5. Remove the air cleaner and ducts.
  6. Remove the bolt and position the transmission fluid dipstick and tube aside.
  7. Disconnect the coolant hose.
  8. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the throttle body (TB).
  9. Disconnect the EGR system module electrical connector.
  10. Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the EGR system module valve.
  11. Remove the exhaust manifold-to-EGR tube.
  12. Disconnect the following hoses:
    • brake booster vacuum hose
    • positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve hose
    • coolant hoses
  13. Disconnect the vacuum harness connector.
  14. If equipped, disconnect the auxiliary heater hoses.
  15. Disconnect the emissions vapor hose.
  16. Remove the throttle body and adapter as an assembly. Discard the throttle body adapter gasket.
  17. Disconnect the coil-on-plug electrical connectors.
  18. Disconnect the fuel injector electrical connectors.
  19. Remove the Ignition Coils.
  20. Remove the generator upper support bracket.
  21. Disconnect the fuel pressure sensor vacuum hose and the electrical connector.
  22. Remove the thermostat housing and thermostat. Discard the O-ring seal.
  23. Remove the intake manifold and discard the gaskets.
To install

Intake Manifold

CAUTION
Do not use metal tools to clean the sealing surfaces. These tools will damage the sealing surfaces that may cause leaks in the future.

1. Clean all the sealing surfaces.
  2. Place new intake manifold gaskets on the engine.
  3. Install the intake manifold.
  4. Loosely install nine bolts.

NOTE: Tighten the thermostat housing bolts in sequence with the intake manifold bolts.

5. Install the thermostat with a new O-ring. Loosely install the bolts.
  6. Install the thermostat housing and loosely install the bolts.
  7. Tighten the 11 bolts in two steps in the sequence shown.
    • Step 1: Tighten to 18 in-lb (2 Nm)
    • Step 2: Tighten to 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm)
  8. Connect the fuel pressure sensor electrical connector and the vacuum hose.
  9. Install the generator support bracket.
  10. Install the Ignition Coils.
  11. Connect the electrical connectors to the fuel injectors.
  12. Connect the electrical connectors to the ignition coils.
  13. Install the throttle body with a new gasket.
  14. Connect the emissions vapor hose.
  15. Connect the vacuum harness connector.
  16. If equipped, connect the auxiliary heater hoses.
  17. Connect the following hoses:
    • coolant hoses
    • brake booster vacuum hose
  18. Install the exhaust manifold to EGR tube. Tighten the fittings to 30 ft-lbs (40 Nm).
  19. Connect the EGR vacuum hoses.
  20. Connect the EGR electrical connector.
  21. Connect the fuel hose spring lock coupling.
  22. Connect the TP sensor electrical connector and push in the red clip.
  23. Connect the electronic throttle body connector and push in the red clip.
  24. Connect the coolant hose.
  25. Connect the upper radiator hose and position the clamp.
  26. Install the dipstick tube in the correct position.
  27. Install the air cleaner and duct work.
  28. Connect the engine vent tube.
  29. Connect the MAF sensor
  30. Install the engine cover.
  31. Fill and bleed the engine cooling system.

The picture server seams to be running slow use use this link for.
Intake manifold bolt location and torque sequence.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Kashegurl/1.jpg

Hope this helps
Good luck

Edited by david on 4/3/2010 at 12:28 AM EST
david
david, Auto Service Technician
david
david
david, Auto Service Technician