How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brian Your Own Question
Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 1361
Experience:  Ford Senior Master certified Tech, 36 years Ford technician.
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Brian is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1989 f150: the tank selector valve

Resolved Question:

can i repair the tank selector valve assembly on a 1989 f150 351 ci? if so what do i need and where do i get it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago. has a replacement selector valve available for your truck, the part # XXXXX XXXXX

Brian and 8 other Ford Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
guess i should have been more specific, it's a dual tank selector. haven't been able to find one, that's why i was wondering if it could be rebuilt. do they have dual tank selector? having trouble navigating the site.
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the part # XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i'm sorry, again i needed to be more specific. i don't need the switch, i need the selector valve assembly. i should have said a six port tank selector valve assembly. looks like this.

do they have one? i can't find one if they do. if they don't, can i fix this one? or am i just stuck? really like being able to use two tanks.

Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.
The part they are calling the tank selector valve definitely doesn't look like yours, but it might just be a generic picture, if you want to give them a call and ask them for a specific explanation of the part, as yours is a 6 port valve. I don't see any kind of rebuild kit available anywhere either, What is wrong with your valve?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
as i understand it the o-rings break and jam in the valves. i can't run off the front tank, only the rear tank, and if i switch back and forth a couple of times it pumps the return into the front tank and overfills it, get gas dripping out of the front filler cap. i do know there was a recall on this but don't know if it was fixed on my pickup or not. can't figure out how to wire an after market selector or make a 3 port selector work. only options i can come up with is to cut the lines, bypass the selector and run off the front tank, and i really would rather not do that. or rebuild the selector. i think i only need o-rings to do that but don't know what o-rings or where to get them. really need to get something done before i have surgery so i can drive it.
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I couldn't offer a better solution, It sound as if you are on the right track with the o rings causing the problem, but without the correct o rings to rebuild it your options are limited, I will check some more parts sites, if I can find something I will get back to you.
Brian and 8 other Ford Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

Every site I have looked up this part shows this same type of selector valve, shows this valve for your 89 f-150 application, part #U7001, it says it is a 6 port valve, it appears to be the same valve but it doesn't have the fuel reservoir/filter housing on the lower half of it, this may be the only way the aftermarket sells this part, hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yeah, been there done that. i have the U7001, nobody can tell me how to hook it up, not even AC Delco, it's electrical, it has no ground wire, mine is mechanical.

thanks for your help.

Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

Never ran into this, it's crazy that this is so difficult, when I go back to work tomorrow, I'm going to have the parts guy's look this up, they can do a nationwide search on the factory part, even if it's discontinued, someone may have one in stock, if one is available I'll get back to you.

Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, no luck today, this part not available from Ford dealers anymore.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so can i bypass the selector by splicing the nylon fuel line with a brass barbed connector to rubber hose and back to the nylon line? will that work and not leak?
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.
Yes, Napa sells these lines with the brass connector, I have used them and they work great.
Brian and 8 other Ford Specialists are ready to help you