Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 99 Ford Taurus. The windows will not go up/down.

Customer Question
I have a 99 Ford...
I have a 99 Ford Taurus. The windows will not go up/down. The car is electric. I had someone check the fuses and the fuses and relay switch appear to all be okay. We have replaced the switch. The gentleman told me that there is no fire going to the main switch. What else can be the problem?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
3/23/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician

most likely ,as is the case with most taurusses when the power windows do not work, there is a broken wire inside the grommet between the driver's door and the body. The light blue/black wire tends to break in half inside here. Pull back the rubber grommet and lightly pull on the wire to see if it is broken, if so repair and splice together using butt/barrel connecter available at most autoparts stores

He said that he checked all of the wires behind the rubber boot and there were none that appeared to be broken. He replaced the driver door window that was broken. Somehow he got fire directly to the switch to get the window up. (FYI....The windows stopped rolling down about 2-3 weeks ago which was before the window was broken)
THE FIRST STEP WOULD BE TO CHECK FOR POWER ON THE LIGHT BLUE/BLACK WIRE AT THE SWITCH,IF THERE IS NO POWER THEN THE WIRE IS LIKELY BROKEN, IF THERE IS POWER THEN EACH OUTPUT WILL NEED TO BE CHECKED STARTING AT THE DRIVER'S WINDOW MOTOR
Hi, it's me again. There is no fire to the blue/black wire. They checked the entire length of the wire several times and have not been able to find a break. He said to let you know that they were able to add their own fire to that wire and the windows went up/down without any problems. He said could there be a fuse blown somewhere because the wire is not broken. What do you think?

if you want, you can check the light blue/black wire of the same gauge coming from the inside fusebox to see if there is power on it at the fusebox, if so then the wire is broken between the fusebox and the switch,if not then the fusebox itself or the accesory delay relay may be at fault. swap the relay out first (it is in the inside fusebox, top right relay) with another(though likely if only the power windows are inop it likely isnt the relay since the radio as well as other accesories are on the same circuit. If after swapping the relay doesn't correct the concern then check for power on the teminal that pin 30 from the relay sits in, if that is ok then use a jumper wire and jumper terminal pin 30 to pin 87 where the relay sits in the fusebox and see if you have power on the light blue/black wire if not then the fusebox is bad.

ok. I will see if my dad can help me now. He has a tester. Where will I find the inside fuse box that you are referring to? Thanks in advance for the advice on the problem.
the fusebox is on the driver's side under the dash, accessible by laying on the driver's floor facing up. Just ablove left of your left foot
Ford snr master

I need your help again!! Ok, we had someone check what you sent me. He said that there is no fire at the 30. Also, how does the fire get to the 30 circuit?

PIN 30 OF THE ACCESORY DELAY RELAY GETS POWER FROM THE 30 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER IN THE UNDERHOOD FUSEBOX , SEE DIAGRAM BELOW, IF THE BREAKER IS GOOD OR IF WHEN YOU JUMP THE 2 TERMINALS WITH A FUSED JUMPER AND THERE IS STILL NO POWER AT PIN 30 THEN YOU HAVE AN OPEN CIRCUIT IN THE BLACK/WHITE WIRE, AND I AM WILLING TO BET THAT THE WIRE IS BROKEN IN THE HARNESS THAT RUNS ALONG THE LEFT FRONT WHEEL WELL. REMOVE THE WHEEL WELL PANELS AND LOWER THE HARNESS AND CUT IT OPEN AND INSPECT THE WIRING, THEY TEND TO CORRODE ALONG THE BENT TOWARDS THE REAR
graphic

Thank you. I will let you know (hopefully within the hour) if this resolves our problem. If it does, I will accept your answer again if not I'll be back to ask another question:) Thank you soooo much.

if you need further assistance please feel free to ask, i am at your service. If there is no broken wire visible, first(without reinstalling the wheel well trims) check at the fusebox on the wire out to make sure there is power on it, then inside the wheel well, probe the wire to see if you have power up to there, at least you will know how far up you ARE recieving power, then work towards the fusebox probing at several intervals to locate where power stops
Ford snr master
Ford snr master