Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

I have a 1995 Ford F-150 5 speed manual transmission. My shifter

I have a 1995 Ford F-150 5 speed manual transmission. My shifter used to be tight. All of a sudden it has a lot of play in it. What can I do to get it back the way it used to be?
Thanks,
Joe
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is either defective or worn out shift lever bushings located at the base of the shift lever, inside the transmission case, (see diagram below), hope this helps you out.

Removal

1. Remove the floor mat and the floor plate. Remove four screws that secure the gearshift lever control top to the control cover. Cover the control cover opening.

graphic

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do you do after you take the 4 screws out
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, once the cover is removed then remove the shift lever and replace the bushing. Then reinstall.

Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the accept, here is some more info for you.

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS