Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

My gas gauge is stuck on full i check the fuse but it..tank

my gas gauge is stuck on full i check the fuse but it isn't the fuse and my tank isn't full wat cud be da problem
What is the 8th digit of the vin?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
wat vin
Vin number, does this vehicle have flex fuel?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok the my gas gauge does not work but my fuel pump still work so i don't know went am low on gas even wen am empty my gauge still read full

Go check out the VIN 8th character. So I know what system I am explaining.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where do i find the vin 8
The Vin is located in 2 placed. On a sticker inside the drivers door.
And if you look at the windshield from the outside right below your registration stickers.
Where the windshield meets the dash.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

IFAFP5526YA178441 YOU MEAN THIS NUMBER

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the one. This vehicle does have flex fuel.
This problem is common when the flex fuel module is bad.
To test, find the Black flex fuel module located behind the radio. Remove the 6 cavity, 5 wire connector and jump pin 2, Brown wire, to pin 3, Black/Yellow wire. Next jump pin 4, Yellow/White wire, to pin 6, Orange/Green wire and cycle the ignition key. If the gauge appears to read close to normal, replace the flex fuel module. The part number for the module is YF18-14A069-AA.graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

CAN U GIVE ME A BETTER UNDERSTANDING

There is a TSB on this issue:
FLEXIBLE FUEL SENSOR

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/03/2002
Oasis #16275 2000 TAURUS AND 2001 TAURUS/SABLE FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLES 0460

SOME 2000 TAURUS AND 2001 TAURUS/SABLE FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A DIFFICULT TO DIAGNOSE ERRATIC FUEL GAUGE. THIS CONDITION MAY ALSO ILLUMINATE A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL), WITH A DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0460 STORED IN THE PCM'S MEMORY. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE FLEXIBLE FUEL SENSOR MODULE (LOCATED UNDER THE DRIVER SIDE DASHBOARD BEHIND THE RADIO). IF NORMAL DIAGNOSIS DOES NOT PINPOINT THE CAUSE, REPLACE THE FLEXIBLE FUEL SENSOR MODULE (BASE PART #14A069). EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/03/2002

Flexible Fuel (FF) Sensor

The Flexible Fuel (FF) sensor (Figure 30) is a capacitive device that detects the dielectric constant, conductivity and temperature of the fuel being fed to the engine. From this information, the FF sensor generates a duty cycle frequency that it supplies to the PCM telling it the percentage of ethanol in the fuel.

In general, as the percentage of ethanol in the fuel mixture increases, the output frequency of the FF sensor signal increases. The relationship between ethanol alcohol percentage and duty cycle frequency is as follows:

Frequency Table

All duty cycle frequency values are +1/-5%. It is important to note that currently no fuel with greater than 85% ethanol alcohol content is being produced. The PCM uses the percent ethanol information to calculate the correct A/F (air/fuel) ratio and spark advance for the vehicle.