John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2004 mustang: brake lights..the fuses and the light bulbs..blinker

we have4 a 2004 mustang..the brake lights are not working...we have replaced the fuses and the light bulbs and brake ligh switch. we get the reverse light and blinker lights but the brake lights will not work

Hi Customer,

I am John Mc, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

I would suggest removing the steering column shrouds and check if the green and red wire going to the turn signal switch is getting power when you push the brake pedal. If it is chances are that your turn signal switch is the cause of your problem. This is a common failure and all you will need to do is replace it.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

-

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
enen if the turn signals wrk?

Yes, the internal circuit for the brake lights can go bad. Make sure to check if the green/red wire is getting power at the switch, if not then you have a problem with the wire between the brake switch and the turn signal switch. Another common failure is for the wire coming off of the brake switch to break and not send power to the turn signal switch. It brakes within 2 inches of the brake switch so all that is needed is to cut 2 inches out and install a new connector and this fixes it. Check for power first, this is what will lead you to your problem, all you need is a test light.

-

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

not getting power to brake light switch.

Did you check both sides of the switch?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes no hot to brake switch...could it be headlight switch?
Use you test light and make sure that fuse 33 has power in the underhood fuse box.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we do not have a #33 fuse under the hood in the fuse box..2004 v6 40th anniversary limited edition mustang...incase that makes a difference
I'm sorry, I misspoke. 33 under the dash.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

33 has power under the dash

I am starting to lean to the light switch?

No the fuse directly powers the brake switch. You have a problem in the wire between the switch and the fuse panel. Try using your test light and pierce the light green/red wire about 3 inches back. See if it has power with the key on. If it does then you have a broken wire and will need to repair it.

-

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert