jimchill
jimchill, Ford Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a ford dealership
30684252

2000 f250: v10..Cruise control..steering wheel as the instrument light

2000 f250 sd v10. Cruise control stopped working. Switches seem fine on steering wheel as the instrument light (green "cruise") flashes every time I depress the set switch.
Category: Ford
Expert:  jimchill replied 7 years ago.
Have you checked your exterior lights? i.e. brake lights/turn etc? check that first and let me know. jim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Exterior lights, brake, signals...all seem to be working fine.
Expert:  jimchill replied 7 years ago.
Double check the fuses in the dash fuse box. Fuses #15-5amp #6-15amp #28-10amp and #13-20amp. also check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder and that there isn't any brake lights on in your instrument cluster. If those all check out the cruise contol amplifier is located on the righr side of the engine compartment with 8 wires going to it id#on the box is 9d843. check that out and let me know.jim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Fuses all check out. I checked out the amplifier with the 8 wires running to it. I pulled the harness off and the male and female connections were covered in a light oil. I am assuming this is to keep out moisture and corrosion? Anyway, my part number on the box is 9C735. Hope this helps.
Expert:  jimchill replied 7 years ago.

Your cruise control system has a self diagnostic system. With key off depress and hold off button and turn ignition to the run position, the speed control indicator will flash once which tells you that it has started diag mode- five more additional flashes indicate a defective cruise control servo. release off button and press cruise buttons in this order on/resume light will flash once, a flashwith the set button indicates the static test has passed if no flash with the set/accel and no additional flashes indicates a defective switch. if no flash & additional flashes occur we would have to go to other tests.

Perform this self test and let me know what happens and if need be we will get into componet tests and wiring charts. thank you, Jim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I held the "off" switch and it flashed for as long as I held it. The flashes were 6 seconds apart and would keep flashing every 6 seconds as long as I held the switch. I let it go to 10 flashes before I released it and hit "on" (1 flash) and then hit "resume" (1 flash). No flash with the"set/accel".
Expert:  jimchill replied 7 years ago.
According to the manual and your self test you have a defective cruise control switch. both switches come as an assembly. You would have to optain the part from your Ford dealer basic pn 9c888 and that will take cre of your cruise control concern. thank you, jim