EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

Sometimes my 1997 Ford Expedition wont start. I have 1 original

Sometimes my 1997 Ford Expedition won't start. I have 1 original factory key and two spare keys which I programmed myself. All power works, when I turn the key, but car won't engage. THEFT light appears for about 2 seconds then disappears. Door locks go up and down once or twice. Remote works fine. If I wait a few hours or overnight, car will ususally start on the next attempt, though all the keys don't typically work and it's not always the original that does. Tried disconnecting /reconnecting battery, but that makes no difference. Battery is brand new--could that process have reset something? If I take it to the dealership, what should I expect? I this something I can handle on my own? Is it possible/ what's needed to reset /bypas or disable my anti-theft?
If you had only one key that was original, without WDS or IDS, you as the vehicle owner can not reprogram 2 more keys. You must have 2 factory or dealership programmed keys in order to program a 3rd key. You are putting the vehicle in a lock down mode and later it restarts. You can not disable or bypass the PATS System, The dealership can diagnose the concern through the data link connector.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So, what's WDS or IDS?

-Does it matter that I DID program two keys with my one original (about 1 1/2 years ago), and that both of those new keys worked fine for awhile. It's only recently that I get a random situation where my car won't engage using any of the keys (original or copies).

-can there be a link with the new battery and/or having lost power completely and then replacing a new battery?

-is the dealer the only one who can diagnose the concern or can another mechanic do it?

-can the dealer disable my anti-theft altogether? OR can a garage do that?

Lets try this procedure :

Key Programming - New Key (Without Diagnostic Tool)

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, make sure the key(s) you want to program have the correct mechanical cut.

1. Insert the nonprogrammed key in the ignition and turn to RUN.
  1. THEFT indicator proves out after 2 seconds and then flashes rapidly.
  1. After 15 minutes of flashing, the THEFT indicator will stop flashing.
  1. Within 5 minutes after the THEFT indicator has stopped flashing, turn the ignition key to OFF and back to RUN.
  1. All originally programmed keys are now erased, and the key in the ignition is now programmed.
  1. Additional keys may be programmed using the Key Programming - Spare Key Procedure

Key Programming - Spare Key

NOTE: Performing this procedure does not erase existing programmed keys.

1. Insert the programmed key in the ignition. Turn to RUN.
  1. THEFT indicator proves out after two seconds.
  1. Remove the programmed key.
  1. Within 15 seconds, insert the new key in the ignition and turn to RUN.
  1. The extra key is now programmed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This sounds great and I will definitely pay for your answer. I appreciate it. My last clarification is that in order to do the first part of the process, i need to begin with a brand new key that is cut to fit my vehicle but is not (and has never been) programmed, correct? In other words, I can't do that first Key Programming sequence with one of the keys that I have already (the factory original, or one of my existing two copies that i programmed and that work most of the time but not all the time), correct? Just checking, and thanks!