CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

1999 Ford F150: cold air..the heater core..overheating..engine coolant

The heater in my 1999 Ford F150 is only blowing out cold air. I do not think it's the heater core because it did not flood my floor board, and I don't think it's my thermostat because my truck is not overheating. I added water this morning to where the engine coolant goes but it is still not working. What else could it be?

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Eventhough the heater core is not leaking coolant on the floor, It may be clogged up. What you will have to do is get the truck to running temp and check the two heater hoses going into the heater core on the firewall. Both should feel about the same temp, Be careful though as they will be very hot. If one is hot and one is not, the heater core is clogged. Another possibillity is a bad blend door motor located on the heater box behind the dash that is not allowing the hot air to enter the box.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you and I know this sounds ridiculous, but I don't exactly know what a heater hose looks like. If I go to Auto Zone or a place like that, will they tell me, or will I have to go to a mechanic?

Thanks,

Amber C.

They are black rubber hoses on the passanger side of the engine compartment going into the cab of the vehicle. They are about an 1" 1.5" in diameter.