Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2004 ford explorer: Makes loud clicking noise when you..warmer..cooler

Customer Question
2004 ford explorer. No...
2004 ford explorer. No heat. Makes loud clicking noise when you try to turn the temperature warmer or cooler. The licking goes away after the car warms up, but still no heat. If you try to change the heat setting, it starts again. Blower doesn't seem to push much air of any temperature. Just started this yesterday. No problems before that.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
1/3/2010
Ford Mechanic: Shawn, Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician

HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective temperature blend door actuator. That's the clicking sound you are hearing, I am sending you instructions in pdf format on how to replace, hope this helps you out.

Temperature Blend Door Actuator

The temperature blend door actuator:

• is located on the heater core and evaporator core housing.
  • moves the temperature blend door on command of the temperature control switch.
  • contains a reversible electric motor.

Before replacing the Blend Door Actuator, make sure cooling system is full and there are no air pockets trapped in the system, also while the engine is running make sure both heater hoses are very hot, if one is cooler than the other suspect a plugged or restricted heater core.

If the hoses are only getting warm, (must be very hot) suspect a defective thermostat, as long as there is no air in the cooling system.

I am sending you the istructions in pdf format, on how to replace the blend door actuator with Manual Controls, hope this helps you out.

In order to replace the Blend Door Actuator you will have to remove the instrument panel, (CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS).

CLICK HERE FOR FLOOR CONSOLE

CLICK HERE FOR TRIM PANELS

CLICK HERE FOR BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR INSTRUCTIONS

2004 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual

Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering

Depowering Procedure

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: Never probe the electrical connector on a safety canopy module. Doing so can result in safety canopy deployment.

WARNING: Do not handle, move or change the original horizontal mounting position of the restraints control module (RCM) while the RCM is connected and the ignition switch is ON. Failure to follow these instructions may result in the inadvertent deployment of the safety canopy and risk of personal injury.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: If a seat equipped with a seat mounted side air bag and/or a safety belt pretensioner (if equipped) system is being serviced, the supplemental restraint system (SRS) must be depowered.

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  3. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F2.19 (10A) from the CJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
  4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
  5. Turn the ignition OFF.
  6. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors or RCM, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

The side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the B-pillars and C-pillars.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute.

Repowering Procedure

1. WARNING: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tool(s) that may have been installed during the repair have been removed from the vehicle and all SRS components are connected.
  2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.
  3. Install the RCM fuse F2.19 (10A) to the CJB.
  4. WARNING: Be sure that nobody is in the vehicle and that there is nothing blocking or set in front of any air bag module when the battery ground cable is connected.
  5. Connect the battery ground cable.
  6. Prove out the supplemental restraint system (SRS) as follows:
    Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the key back to ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately six seconds and then turn off. If an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault is present, the air bag indicator will either:
    - fail to light.
    - remain lit continuously.
    - flash.
    The flashing might not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the restraints control module (RCM) to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime will sound in a pattern of five sets of five beeps. If this occurs, the air bag indicator and any SRS fault discovered must be diagnosed and repaired.
    Clear all continuous DTCs from the restraints control module using a scan tool.
Good grief - I don't know what I'm looking at. How difficult is this to do? If I have to have it done, what do you think the cost would be? Do you have a drawing that show where this is in reference to the engine? Also, where are the hoses so I can check the heat on both?
HiCustomer

Sorry didn't mean to scare you, is the clicking right around knee level?

On the driver's side?

In the dash?
Yes. Most of the sound does seem to come from that area. Right in front of my right knee. It also sounds like something trying to open or shut. It did work yesterday, even while making the noise.
HiCustomer

Ok, that's the Temperature Blend Door Actuator clicking, what happens is the there are plastic gears inside and they will break or shred themselves and start to make the clicking, popping sound.
Would that also cause the blower not to put out as much air? Got any ideas of what this will cost me - I think this is way over my head. A ballpark figure would be helpful.
Would that also cause the blower not to put out as much air? Yes, because the air is not being diverted properly.

Got any ideas of what this will cost me - I think this is way over my head. A ballpark figure would be helpful. The actuator is about $70.00 and you are looking at 6.4 hours labor, at whatever your shop's labor rate is.
Could the thermostat be involved also, since no heat at all?
I would recommend replacing it, due to mileage.
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Thanks so much for the help, Shawn - I don't think I can do this for myself, but at least I will have some idea of what costs will be.
HiCustomer

You are welcome and Thank you!
Shawn
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician