Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

my ford explorer 2002 will not start, it turns over but will

Customer Question
not start. acts like it...
my ford explorer 2002 will not start, it turns over but will not start. acts like it is not getting fuel. we come home in it parked it and the next day would not start.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
1/1/2010
Ford Mechanic: John Mc, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

Is you theft light flashing rapidly?

If not with the key on and engine off is the check engine light on? If so when you crank the engine does the light turn off?

Thanks,

John Mc

when i turn the key on the theft light flash'es and the check engine light is not on.
Ok, do you have a test light?
no i do not have test light

Ok, there is not much we can do but we will try anyway. Your problem is your computer is not getting power or it is bad. Look in the fuse box under the hood. Here is a pic.

graphic

Now try swapping the two relays highlighted in red. If it starts replace the one that was the pcm power relay. If it still won't start you are going to need to take it to someone that can test wiring to find out where the power problem is. If there is no power problem you are going to need a new pcm. I would suggest having a dealer do this work because they have to program the new pcm and also need to program the antitheft system so the truck will start.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

-

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

still does not want to start when i switched the two around.

I'm sorry but without some basic test equipment I would just be guessing as to what is the cause of your problem. I think you next step needs to be to take it to a shop.

Thanks,

John Mc

ok thank u for ur help.
You're welcome, sorry I couldn't be of further assistance.
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
John Mc
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician