John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle. It will not start. 68K miles.

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle. It will not start. 68K miles. It seems to turn over, and sounds like it will "almost" start, just won't completely turn over. It does not click like when it needs a jump. Put in a new battery a few weeks ago. This happened a few years ago, and a mechanic told me to reset something by holding down the brake pedal while starting the car (or something like that). Whatever it was, it worked back then, but isn't working now (or maybe it's just because I don't remember the trick right).

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

Does the engine spin over... nanananananananan. Or just na. If it is spinning over you might have flooded the engine. The way to clear this out is to hold the gas pedal to the floor and start it. Let it spin over for 30 seconds then let it loose. If it still does not start let it sit for a few minutes and try this again. If you still have a problem you will need to have the computer scanned to see if you have something else causing the problem such as a bad fuel pump or a bad pcm relay. Many things can cause a no start and the starting point on diagnosis is to scan the system. This gets you in the ballpark so you can pinpoint the cause.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

-

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It spins over (it sounds like it is going to start normally, and then it just stops). I forgot to mention that the security light is flashing. We don't remember if it normally does that once we've unlocked the car. But somebody told me a faulty security system could cause a similar problem. Meanwhile I'll try the starting the car as you indicated- and get back to you. Maybe I'm remembering what I did last time incorrectly- maybe it was the gas pedal to hold down, not the brake pedal....

The theft light was the thing that I needed! You probably just have a security system issue where it has lost memory of the keys. Disregard the stuff in the last post. Unfortunately there is no way to reset the anti-theft system yourself. This is an iron clad system and only the dealer can access and program. You are going to need to take it to a dealer to have the keys reprogrammed. If this is not the issue they will be able to scan the anti theft system to see what is causing the problem. Ford kept the market on this system so only they would be able to service it. Alot of car companys are doing this kind of thing now to keep their customers as a captive customer.

-

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So I have to have it towed to the dealer?!
Unfortunately, yes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Actually, I just tried holding the gas pedal down, and that did work - it started. I notice the smell of gas, does that give any indication to what the problem was? Do you think it should drive it in to be looked at or is it probably ok? I think last time this happened (2 years ago) I ended up driving it in, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong.

Sometimes they just flood from a low battery, or the computer just gets out of whack. It would be a good idea to install a new set of plugs to help keep this from happening again. If your theft light was flashing you have a problem there also and you should really get that checked out before it gets you stuck in a parking lot somewhere.

Thanks for the accept! Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated as it lets others see my job performance.