Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How ot bleed brakes on 2005 f250 diesel

Customer Question
how ot bleed brakes on 2005 f250 diesel
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
12/28/2009
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager

Remember to start at the furthest wheel.

Bleeding, System
Notes

Brake System Bleeding

Material

Manual Bleeding Method

WARNING: Brake fluid contains polyglycol ethers and polyglycols. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. If brake fluid contacts eyes, flush eyes with running water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If taken internally, drink water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with the specified brake fluid. Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or replacement, air may get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been properly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.

1. Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with specified brake fluid.

1. Remove the bleeder screw cap and place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with specified brake fluid.
  2. Have an assistant pump the brake pedal and then hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
  3. Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.
    • Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
    • Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.

1. Tighten the RH rear bleeder screw and install the bleeder screw cap.
  2. Repeat Steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 for the LH rear, RH front, and LH front bleeder screws in this order.

Pressure Bleeding Method

2. NOTE: Master cylinder pressure bleeder adapter tools are available from various manufacturers of pressure bleeding equipment. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer when installing the adapter. Install the bleeder adapter to the brake master cylinder reservoir, and attach the bleeder tank hose to the fitting on the adapter.

1. NOTE: Bleed the longest line first. Make sure the bleeder tank contains enough specified brake fluid to complete the bleeding operation. Remove the bleeder screw cap and place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw, and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with specified brake fluid.
  2. Open the valve on the bleeder tank.

1. Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw. Leave open until clear, bubble-free brake fluid flows, then tighten the RH rear bleeder screw and remove the rubber hose and install the bleeder screw cap.
  2. Continue bleeding the system, going in order from the LH rear bleeder screw to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw ending with the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
  3. Close the bleeder tank valve. Remove the tank hose from the adapter, and remove the adapter
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
I did all that the pedal is hard for a second then go to flour .it seems like the power booster is bad but was working fine wheni started
The booster did not go bad from you changing a caliper. You likely still have air in the system, we use a Vacula pressure bleeder and push about 1 gallon thru a system this size to flush and bleed the system. It may take several attempts doing it manually, a pressure bleeder pressurizes the system, you crack a bleeder open and let it flow. There might even be air hung up in the HCU (hydraulic control unit for ABS).
Thank You i will try again tomorrow

Keep me posted.

EMRSR
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager