Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How do I install steering wheel audio controls and wiring for

Customer Question
these controls in a 2008...
How do I install steering wheel audio controls and wiring for these controls in a 2008 F350? Radio is navigation and is capable of being controled
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
12/28/2009
Ford Mechanic: chris, Ford Mechanic replied 8 years ago
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic

Hi there

Not sure what you are doing,,, did the truck not come with NAV ,,and now you have installed it and want to also install the steering wheel radio switches ???

graphic

if this is the case ,,, then you may have to replace the clock spring also ,, it will have the wireing in it for the radio switch that run down the steering column ,

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I have a nvigation radio installed. I want to install the stering wheel switch to control volume and change channels. Currently there is no wiring harness behind the cover on the steering wheel. I want to install the switch and necessary wiring to the radio so that I can control the steering radio from the steering wheel.

I bought the truck in early 2007 when the model 1st hit the market. The dealer installed the Nav radio at delivery but could not install the steering wheel controls as the wiring harness was not in the parts system yet.

I am looking for a parts list (with parts numbers) of the parts needed and a procedure to install them.

Please email any future questions.

Thank You for your help.

Ok,,, I work at a Ford dealer in AZ,,, and my parts dept is not open yet ,,, so give me some time and I will get you the part numbers you need ,,,I think you will only need the steering wheel switches and the clock spring ,, but let me make sure and I will get back to you later today

Thanks .. Chris

Anything yet Chris?
Chris,

If you cant get the indfo quickly please open the question for others to answer.

Thank You John Desmond
Relist: no response for 2 days.
no response for 2 days

Hi there ,,, sent the info out to you that day ,, guess it did not take ,, will try again ,, site has been having problems ,,,

the switches for the steering wheel are $87 , part number 7C3Z-9C888-AA

the clock spring is about $112,,, part number 8C3Z-14A664-B

Chris

Great Chris, Thank You.

Can you give me a quick bullet list of the steps to install please.

The steering wheel switches are easy to install ,, get under the switches and pull them out ,,, then unplug them ,, and install the new ones ---see below

graphic

as for the clock spring ,,, you have to remove the air bag,, remove the steering wheel ,, and the upper and lower steering column bezels.. see below

graphic

remove the tilt lever

graphic

then the three screws from the lower bezel , see number 7

then remove the upper and lower steering column bezels, number 1 and 6

then look at the back side of the steering wheel , there are three clips you can see on the back side that need to be released with a big flat bladed screw drivers , twist the screw driver to release all three and the air bag will pop off ,, then unplug it -see below

graphic

then remove the bolt from the center of the steering wheel and and the steering wheel will come off ...

under the steering wheel is the clock spring ,, remove its two bolts and install the new one ---see below

graphic

Chris

chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Chris,

Thanks thats just what I needed. Just to confirm, the only parts I need are the clock fingers and the switch. The wiring inbetween the radio and the switch is uincluded with one of these parts?

Well to tell you the truth , I have never done this before on this unit ,,that is, had a customer come in with a 2008 F350 and want the radio switches on the steering wheel installed when it did not have them , but I have done this on other units from Ford,,, and in the past the only two things that needed to be replaced are the cruse switches and the clock spring ,,, the dash harness between the steering column and the radio had the wireing in it already to make it work ,, you see its easier for Ford to make one dash harness for each unit that has all the wireing in it for everything the unit can come with ,, and if you want to add something , then you add to the dash harness .

Chris

chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Hi Chris,

I received my clockspring and my switch today but there is no wiring between the switch and the clockspring. In my book it lists it as part of "3600", but I cannot find that. Can you tell me how to order that piece of wiring?

Thanks, John

3600 is the base part number for the steering wheel,, that little harness between the switches and the clock spring must be only serviced with the steering wheel assembly,,

I work at a Ford dealer and I think I have something for you ,,, give me a call

1

6

2

3

6

8

0

3

1

5

3

Chris

Its on a slow train ,, but it will get there ,,, FedEx tracking number

1
5
5
8
5
8
9
1
0
0
7
7
7
7
8

Thanks,,Chris
chris
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic