Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

alternator keeps burning up

Customer Question
alternator keeps burning up
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
12/21/2009
Ford Mechanic: Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic

Hello, has the small connector for the alternator been replaced? These connectors often cause alternator problems because the contacts inside them are so small. Also, have you checked the wiring for the small connector? THe following needs to be checked, make sure the orange and light blue wire has battery voltage with the small connector disconnected from the alternator. After you replace the small connector, start the truck and turn on everything that you can that is electrical. leave it on for about 4 or 5 minutes, then take your voltmeter and place one lead on the alternator battery cable post and the other lead on the battery post itself. The voltage should read less than 1 volt. If it reads more than 1 volt, the battery cable to the alternator is bad. This should get you fixed up. Thanks

This would cause my batteries to go dead? and my gauges to freak and lights to dim while driving? But mostly my batteries to die hours after the truck is shut off?
OK, so you are now saying that the batteries go dead in a few hours after the truck is shut off. Do the batteries go dead while driving, or it you use the truck during the day, and start it every few hours, it will not go dead?
The truck has started and then died a few times, requiring a jump start. Usually there are no problems trough the coarse of a day. However on two occasions the truck has needed a jump with in 30 minutes of shuting it off
How old are the batteries, and if they were replaced, what is the cold cranking amps of the batteries?

The batteries are factory,so 5 years. when load tested they tested good. Motorcraft 750 cold cranking amps. This is my first time using this site, sorry for not being way more informative with initial question.

If you have gotten 5 years out of factory diesel batteries, you were very lucky. I would be willing to think that the batteries are the problem. It is possible that the post on one of the bateries has cracked inside the battery case and vibration while driving causes the post to loose contact and spike voltage through the electrical system. This would account for the gauges and also the no start problem. If there was an electrical item that could drain 2 diesel batteries in 30 minutes, it would be on fire from the heat it would make. Also, the batteries are more than likely almost 7 years old, the 2004 trucks were buiolt in 2003 and the batteries were make before the trucks. You are on borrowed time for the batteries to start with. I would recommend replacing the batteries, and use 750 amp Motorcraft or 1000 amp in any other brand. Thanks
So definitly change batteries. This should take alternator problem as well? Or should I just change that plug as well? Thank you for your patience.
Change the batteries, and I would recommend replacing the small connector on the alternator as well. It will be cheap insurance. Having batteries this old, also will put stress on the alternator, which is probably the cause for the alternator burning out so quickly. Thanks
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic