Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2001 ford f150: overdrive..tranny..it would slip into neutral

Customer Question
my 2001 ford f150 4x4...
my 2001 ford f150 4x4 will not shift gears between 40 to 45 mph it feels like it just shifts into neutral. it does not make any noises it just wont shift and with the overdrive button in the off position the tranny will not shift into neutral but i can only go 35 to 40 mph. when this problem first started it would slip into neutral for a little while but then it would shift. i took it to a shop and they added a additive to break up carbon build up or something like that and it seemed to help but then the problem got worse
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
12/9/2009
Ford Mechanic: RICHE, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
RICHE
RICHE, Ford Technician
WHEN YOU DRIVE WITH THE OVERDRIVE BUTTON LIT UP WHICH WOULD BE OFF IT SHIFTS FINE? WHEN IT IS NOT LIT UP IT GOES INTO NEUTRAL WHEN IT SHIFTS FROM 3RD TO 4TH?
yes

DO YOU HAVE THE TRUCK THERE WITH YOU? IF YOU DO SMELL THE TRANS FLUID AND SEE IF IT SMELLS BURNED. IS IT BURNED? OR REAL DARK COLOR?

i do have the truck and the fluid smells fine it doesnt seem to be burned. the fluid is still red

OK THEN THE PROBLEM IS GOING TO BE THE RETAINER CLIP ON THE OVERDRIVE SERVO PISTON WHICH APPLIES THE OVERDRIVE BAND. I HAVE SEEN THAT PROBLEM ALOT. THE TRANSMISSION WILL HAVE TO BE DISASSEMBLE TO MAKE SURE IT DID NOT DAMAGE THE BAND AND USUALLY THE PIECE THAT BREAKS OFF IS STUCK IN THE VALVEBODY. THERE IS ONE OTHER POSSIBILITY THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE THE TRANS TO BE REMOVED AND THAT IS A PIECE OF THE VALVEBODY GASKET OR OTHER DEBRIS IS LODGED IN THE 3-4 SHIFT VALVE (ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT HAPPENS ALOT). ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO FOR YOU? PLEASE ACCEPT MY ANSWER SO I CAN GET CREDIT FOR MY WORK. THANKS RICH
RICHE
RICHE, Ford Technician
RICHE
RICHE
RICHE, Ford Technician