Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Where are the freeze plugs on my 1990 Ford Ranger.

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
12/7/2009
Ford Mechanic: jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
jblair1979
jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician
HowdyCustomer!! they are on the sides of the engine block, 1/2 way between the oil pan and cyl head. which motor do you have? thanks,
jblair1979
jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician

It says on the top of the block 2.9 L. I think it's a six cylinder., The engine is really complicated can you give me ideas how to get to the freeze out plugs. The one that is leaking is under the exhaust manifold. When I shine a light on it, it's snickering.

Can I do this myself? Can I plug it up with some kind of polymer product in the mean time or do I need to pull the plug?

Perhaps I need to go to a shop where they have a lift without a center post. That's what I've been told.

they have rubber temporary plugs at most auto parts stores
yes it is a job you could most likely do yourself, just remove the exhaust manifold, for access. i can get you pictures tonight, if you need them.
Thanks, that's helpful. Pictures would definitely be helpful. I've tried getting a shop manual and had no luck so pictures would be wonderful. I'll look for them tonight
graphic
you will have 3 down each side, 1 on the frnt of each head, and smaller ones on the front and rear of the engine block, are you just going to replace the leaking ones, or all of them?(you would have to pull the engine for that....
I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I'm actually asking the questions for a friend who has the Ranger and he hasn't come by yet to see what you've given us. So I don't know if he has any more questions. I called him once and will do so again. Once he reads it and feels he can proceed I will accept and make sure you get paid. Thanks for your help.
Greg
hey greg, i love getting paid, but i also want to make sure that i get yall taken care of, so let me know how i can help, thanks!!!
jblair1979
jblair1979
jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician