Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

What problems does Ford 4.6 V8 engine have?

Customer Question
What problems does 2009 Ford...

What problems does 2009 Ford have with 4.6 V8 engine, because I have one that I'm having a misfire at start for 20 to 60 seconds.

Is this an ongoing thing also RPMs surging up and down, losing throttle at times. I want a honest answer. I had a 2007 same engine with the misfiring problem.

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2009
Ford Mechanic: jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
jblair1979
jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician

Howdy!!

The honest answer is that there are multiple possibilities. Does the check engine light come on? When was the last fuel filter changed, last tune up, last oil change? How many miles are on it, and what model is it?

It may just need a PCM reprogram/update, for emission system updates, the EGR could be opening when it should not. When you fill up the fuel tank, do you stop when it does, or do you keep trying to get more and more in it?

Let me know, and we will get it figured out, thanks,

jblair1979
jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician

Sorry, it has taken so long to get back to you. Thanks for answer but I just want to know if other customers are having the same problem with the 4.6 doing the same thing but if your not at liberty to say that is ok. Thanks but the charge for should be charged to Ford warranty dept, vehicle is still under warranty. Have a nice day.

VEH, HAS 14,452,NO, CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS. HAS BEEN IN SHOP 7 TIMES. I never over fill the fuel tank. all the other things is up to the engineers that has been working on the vehicle. It has been reprogrammed as per the dealer.

What I honestly want to know is this engine having these problems from other customers, this has been my second one A 2007 and now 2009 Engineers cannot fix then. If your not at liberty to give me a answer, I thank you in advance. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Yes I have seen this before, but not where it was not fixable. It usually has to do with EGR or Evap and PCM commanding it to flow when it is not time. Usually just a reprogram and its good.

There is a code for this, P0300, random misfire in the 1st thousand revolutions of the engine. What is your VIN and I will see if there are any current service messages on it.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too!!

Two engineers have tried to make the repairs, ran test of all kinds on it. I'm not trying to fix it. I want Ford to replace the vehicle because I personally don't think there is a fix for the ones that are giving problems of this nature.

Sorry to run it through oasis I will need the full 17 characters of the VIN, I was just going to see what info I could get you. I will in the morning.

Thanks.

1fmeu33889ua00259

Ok, basically what I found is that they have tried to neutralize the engine and trans mounts twice, and reprogrammed the PCM at least once, but that there are not any more updates as of yet. What they have to do is take issues like yours get it figured out, then have the "techy guys" engineers, wright a new PCM update and then send it out, for the dealers to use.

When the FSE, field service engineers, get called out, they have to fill out and submit reports about the issues, so this is not a dead dog yet. They will be working on it until they figure it out. As the vehicle is new, you have the full warranty behind it, and i do believe that this is a PCM calibration issue, based on what you have told me, and what I have seen. Give them time, and see what they come up with and let me know.

Thanks,

OK, THANKS FOR THAT INFO I AM COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH THAT ANSWER. I WILL WAIT FOR THE ENGINEER TO GET BACK WITH MY DEALER. THE VEHICLE WILL NOT BE DRIVEN UNTIL THEN BECAUSE IT IS DANGEROUS LIKE IT IS.

THANKS AGAIN I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY FIND, SO YOU CAN HELP SOME IN THE FUTURE.

jblair1979
jblair1979
jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician