Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a clicking sound under the hood of a 2005 mustang gt.

Customer Question
This only happens once a...
I have a clicking sound under the hood of a 2005 mustang gt. This only happens once a day in the morning when it is cold
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
11/17/2009
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX the noise sound like it is coming from exhaust manifold area or intake manifold area?

intake
Does this only happen on cold starts or will it make noise warmed up?
just cold starts. It sounds a little like a pump trying to prime
Are you familiar with lifter noise ticking, is it like that?
not lifter noise my father in law is an m. engineer and he listened to it. Thats where I got the pump priming idea from.

Here is a tsb from ford on startup noise see if any of these apply. Thanks

FORD:2005 Mustang
2004-2005 F-150
2005 Expedition, F-250, F-350
LINCOLN:2005 Navigator

This article supersedes TSB 06-4-7 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3-valve or 5.4L 3-valve engine may exhibit a ticking and / or knocking noise after reaching normal operating temperature, or a rattle upon starting. The noise may be described as ticks, taps, knocks, or thumps. In some cases the noise may be a normal characteristic of these engines. In other cases the noise may require further investigation. Sorting out and defining the noise as reported by the customer is important to successfully diagnose and / or repair the condition.

ACTION:

Before starting diagnosis, it is critical to determine the specific engine noise the customer is concerned with. The customer should be interviewed to get their detailed perception and description of the noise, and to determine if the noise occurs at idle or above idle speed, and if the engine is cold, hot, or both. Attempt to duplicate the noise, and determine the source of the symptom. Refer to the following Service Procedure to help determine the source of the noise and if a repair is needed.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:READ THIS SECTION IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE BEGINNING.

NOTE:THE 4.6L 3V AND 5.4L 3V ENGINES ARE INSTALLED IN SEVERAL VEHICLE PLATFORMS, WHICH MAY INFLUENCE THE INTENSITY OF NOISE DUE TO VEHICLE DIFFERENCES IN SOUND TRANSMISSION PATHS, HOOD AND BODY INSULATION PACKAGES, AND ROOT CAUSE OF THE COMPONENT(S) CAUSING THE NOISE.

PRE-CHECKS

1. Make sure you have a detailed description of the noise the customer is concerned with, including whether the noise is occurring at idle or above idle speed (does it disappear above 1200 RPM), and if the engine is cold, hot, or both when the noise is occurring. These engines generate a lot of "normal" noises, so it is critical to confirm the noise the customer is concerned with. Determine what environment the customer is in when the noise is most noticeable to them (inside passenger compartment, next to building with / without the driver and / or passenger window open, or beside the wheel well). Validate by using your own perception.
  2. Compare the noise generated with a new vehicle, if available, with an ENGINE build date of 3/30/2005 or later on Mustang and 4/18/2005 or later on F-150 to F-350, Expedition and Navigator vehicles.
  3. Diagnose noise when engine is at normal operating temperature (Oil at 160° F (71° C) or above). Verify oil temperature by using a diagnostic scan tool and monitoring the engine oil temperature (EOT) PID. Startup rattle may only occur with cold oil.
  4. Check the type of oil filter installed on the vehicle. A dirty or clogged filter may cause a pressure drop. Look for aftermarket brands not recognized in the market or a production filter that has gone beyond the standard Ford recommended change interval.
  5. Check for signs of oil brand used and viscosity (interview customer if needed). Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil or equivalent is recommended.

Once the above pre-checks are complete, check for sound level from the following components, in the order listed. Compare the sound from these components to the noise the customer is concerned with, to determine the source of the noise.

INJECTION / FUEL SYSTEM

Injector noise (ticking) is considered normal. Noise increases with RPM hot or cold and is recognized at the top of the engine.

VALVE TRAIN

Lash adjusters can make a ticking / tapping noise noticeable at any engine RPM / temperature and is audible through the wheel well or an open hood. However, with the hood down, lash adjuster noise can be heard as a light tapping noise through the wheel well and is considered normal.

Tracing this noise must be isolated to a cylinder bank. If one bank is louder than the other bank, focus the diagnostic to the loud bank. If both banks seem loud with the hood down, compare wheel well sound level to another comparable vehicle.

Use a stethoscope on the top of the cam cover bolt heads to confirm which bank is affected. Move the probe from front to rear if necessary.

If isolated, only replace the intake and exhaust lifters on the affected cylinder bank.

VARIABLE CAM TIMING

The 4.6L 3V and 5.4L 3V variable cam timing (VCT) feature may emit a light knock in normal operation and is audible only at idle speed, with a hot engine (gear selector in park / neutral). However, it may be masked by or mistaken for other noises generated from either injector firing or a malfunctioning valve train as described above. The noise does not affect performance or durability of the part.

VCT phasers may knock at hot idle. It may be heard inside the passenger compartment, or the wheel well area. Some light noise is normal. The engine may require a cold soak overnight for a full diagnosis to effectively be made at hot idle, particularly when a VCT phaser is suspected. The knock is not prevalent at cold temperature.

To test for VCT noise:

1. Place the transmission in park or neutral
  2. Bring engine oil temperature to 160° F (71° C) or above as indicated by the scan tool "EOT" PID.
  3. Allow engine to idle, and determine if noise is noticeable.
  4. Set engine speed to over 1200 RPM (if noise is a VCT knock, the noise should disappear).
  5. Return engine speed to idle (verify knock returns).

If the noise intensity is more than a lightly audible knock at hot idle under 1200 RPM at engine operating temperature, replace the cam phaser using the "In-Vehicle Repair" Camshaft Phaser and Sprocket procedure found in the Workshop Manual, Section 303-01

START UP RATTLE

Some 2004 F-150 and 2005 F-150, Expedition, Navigator, F-Super Duty, and Mustang vehicles may have a rattle on startup that lasts 1 to 3 seconds. If initial pre-checks have been completed and the noise sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine, replace the VCT Phaser Kit. If the engine continues to make the rattle noise after the initial startup do not exchange VCT.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
5L1Z-6500-AALash Adjuster (2005 Vehicles)
3L3Z-6500-BALash Adjuster (2004 Vehicles)
3R2Z-6A257-DAVCT Phaser Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME
061908A2005 Expedition / Navigator 5.4L 3V: Replace Right Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A) 4.5 Hrs.
061908A2005 Mustang 4.6L 3V: Replace Right Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A)2.2 Hrs.
061908A2005 Super Duty 5.4L 3V: Replace Right Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A)3.1 Hrs.
061908A2004-2005 F-150 5.4L 3V: Replace Right Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A) 3.7 Hrs.
061908B2004-2005 F-150 5.4L 3V: Replace Left Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft ) Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A2.5 Hrs.
061908B2005 Super Duty 5.4L 3V: Replace Left Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A)2.6 Hrs.
061908B2005 Mustang 4.6L 3V: Replace Left Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser Hrs. (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A)2.3 Hrs.
061908B2005 Expedition / Navigator 5.4L 3V: Replace Left Bank Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A) 2.7 Hrs.
061908C2005 Expedition / Navigator 5.4L 3V: Replace Both Banks Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A)6.7 Hrs.
061908C2005 Mustang 4.6L 3V: Replace Both Banks Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A) 4.2 Hrs.
061908C2005 Super Duty 5.4L 3V: Replace Both Banks Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A)5.2 Hrs.
061908C2004-2005 F-150 5.4L 3V: Replace Both Banks Lash Adjusters And / Or Camshaft Sprocket / Phaser (6500A, 6256A, 6250A, 6020A, 6268B, 6266A, 6584A, 9424A)5.5 Hrs.
MT061908Claim Additional Labor Required As Actual TimeActual Time

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE
6500 (Lash Adjuster Replacement)42
6A257 (VCT Replacement)42

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company

none of those seem to apply. any guess could it be starter solinoid but I would think that would be hot or cold
Do you think it is coming from starter? Sometimes starter drives get dry and when they are spinning down they vibrate.
Maybe but we checked that and didn't think it was vibrating. Could the throttle body cause this issue
I personally haven't seen any throttle body issue's making noise, I guess what you will need to do now is go to auto parts store buy a stethoscope and go over engine areas or anywhere you think the noise is emmitting from. Just try to pinpoint the source. Then we can go from there. Hope this helps. Thanks Steve
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Thanks for you time
No problemCustomer,Thanks again Let me know if you need anthing further.
Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician