Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How to replace the heater core in a Ford F150?

Customer Question
How do I replace the...

How do I replace the Heater Core in a 1985 Ford F 150, InLine 6 (4.9L) with a/c?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
11/11/2009
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Below are directions:

1980-86 With Air Conditioning

See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5

Do not discharge the air conditioning system.

1. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes and plug the hoses with suitable 5 / 8 inch; (16mm) plugs.
  2. Remove the glove compartment liner.
  3. Remove eight (8) screws attaching the heater core cover to the plenum and remove the cover.
  4. Remove the heater core from the plenum taking care not to spill coolant from the core.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Exploded view of the heater plenum, 1980-86 with manual A/C

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Removing the glove compartment liner to gain access to the heater core,

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Removing the heater core cover retaining screws

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Removing the heater core cover

To install:

1. Install the heater core in the plenum.
  2. Install the heater core cover (eight screws).
  3. Install the glove compartment liner.
  4. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core. Tighten the hose clamps.
  5. Add coolant to raise the coolant level to specification
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager