Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

97 ford ranger: my manual transmission..reverse..turn key..come loose

how can I remove the crankshaft bolt on a 97 ford ranger to get the crankshaft pulley off? Tried everything. Was told that putting my manual transmission in reverse would keep the pulley from moving or I could use a breaker bar to wedge against frame, gently turn key and bolt would come loose. What do you suggest??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.

Putting the trans in reverse (you may need to block the wheels also) is your best bet if you do not have a impact wrench. I would not try turning the engine over with a bar on the crank bolt.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will give it a shot. What do suggest, if I am still unable to break bolt free and there is no impact available?
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
This should work as long as you block the wheels and apply the e-brake if it works or have someone hold the regular brake.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. May I ask another question regarding the timing marks or do you need me to accept and submit new question?
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
You can ask and I will answer if I can. It is up to you to accept any answer I give.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. 1.When re-installing crankshaft pulley, will same method of putting manual transmission in reverse and engaging e-brake, allow me to tighten to proper tourque without pulley moving? 2.On the camshaft pulley, I see a diamond shape. Should I line this up with the arrow @ 5o'clock on the inner belt cover or is there an arrow on the camshaft pulley that i didn't see(arrow to arrow or diamond to arrow)? On the oil pulley I see a diamond shape and also a diamond shape on the inner belt cover to align it with. What is the correct way to proper align for correct timing?
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.

Yes you will need to tighten the bolt the same way you took it off. Below is a pic on how the cam and oil pump sprocket are aligned. The crank needs to be set at TDC (top dead center).

graphic