Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

1987 ford f150: intermittent..wipers..the switch an motor

1987 ford f150 intermittent wipers not working i have replace the switch an motor

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If all of the functions except intermittent work then I would replace the wiper governor. It is located on the drivers side behind the instrument cluster below the switch.

graphic

Wiper Governor Replacement Procedure - Manual Revision
Notes

WINDSHIELD WIPER - INTERVAL - GOVERNOR REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE - SHOP MANUAL REVISION

Article No. 88-22-7

LIGHT TRUCK:1987-88 BRONCO, F SERIES

ISSUE:The interval windshield wiper governor replacement procedure as published in the 1987 and 1988 Light Truck Shop Manual, Volume A, Section 35-60-14 has been revised. This revision only applies to Bronco and F Series vehicles because the governor mounting bracket retaining screws are hard to get at.

ACTION:If service is required, use the following interval windshield wiper governor service procedure. This information should be inserted into your 1987 and 1988 Light Truck Shop Manual, Volume A, Section 35-60-14 for future reference.

1.Disconnect the electrical connectors from the governor.

NOTE:DO NOT REMOVE THE OLD GOVERNOR FROM THE VEHICLE.

2.Connect the electrical connectors to the new governor.

3.Position the new governor on the 14401 wire harness above the fuse box.

4.Make sure the new governor is not contacting any other components and tape it into place with black electrical tape.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:None
WARRANTY STATUS:"INFORMATION ONLY"
OASIS CODES: 2800, 2900
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

only the fast works the slow speed does not work ntermittent does not work

Sounds like a governor to me, it controls low speed also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What does the governer look like? Is is part of the switch? Why not remove the old one thanks bobby

Its a small box mounted near the switch (did you look at the picture?). Ford came out with that tsb for leaving it in because the screws for the governor are supposedly very difficult to access. I did a little research and found this post that might fix your problem......see below

HERE IS A LINK TO THE FORUM WHERE I FOUND THE POST

I just fixed the wiper problem!! It was pretty easy. The only tools you'll need are a quarter inch nut driver and a soldering iron. Disconnect the big red connector from the back of the wiper switch. The interval governor is a little black plastic box just to the left of the fuse box (behind the headlight and wiper switches). There is one bracket on the bottom rear of the module box and a single screw attaches it to the dash. Remove the screw and pull the module forward out of the dash compartment. Disconnect the black cable connector at the module. It looks almost identical to thee red connector at the wiper switch. Take the module assembly to a suitable work bench with plenty of light. Two screws hold the cover on. One of the screws also holds down the short cable assembly coming out of the box. Remove the two screws and carefully lift the PC board assembly out of the plastic box. Inspect the backside of the PC board. At one corner of the board is a large plastic relay and next to it is a heatsink with a special power resistor connected to the bottom of it. On my PC board, solder connections were broken on the heatsink and resistor leg. Carefully inspect all the other connections on the board for cracks. These are cheap, single-sided PC boards and the solder connections can break very easily, because there is no plating through the holes that the components go through. if you have an eye loupe or a magnifying glass, use them to carefully inspect all the connections. If any connections are broken, simply take some regular 60/40 electronic solder wire (the kind with a flux core) and solder any of the faulty solder connections. Of course, I also inspected the top (component) side of the board to make sure there were no burned components. On my board, the components looked fine. When finished, put the board back in the box and re-install. I did this and voilà! The delay works perfectly, and so do low and high speed wipers. I guarantee this is a common problem with these wiper modules. With those cheap solder connections, and the board rattling around in the dashboard for 20 years, this is the kind of thing that usually goes wrong. Hope this helps everyone. It was really pretty simple.