Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How to set timing ford explorer 1994 vin x

how to set timing ford explorer 1994 vin x
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2009
Mitch
Mitch, Ford Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Are you looking to find out how to set base timing? That vehicle is computer controlled and timing is not adjustable. Did you just replace a timing chain or cam?

Mitch
Mitch, Ford Technician
installed long block
installed long block had cam sensor removed, do i need special tool,
let me check.
Mitch
Mitch, Ford Technician
There is only a crank sensor on that particular engine. It is the main input to the ignition system. Since you installed a long block it should have had a timing kit (chain and sprockets) all ready installed and set. The crank sensor on the front cover needs no adjustment. Just bolt it back down. I attached the workshop manual link HERE
Mitch, on the back of engine below the intake there is a sensor and what i have read on it, it is a cam shaft sensor, it has a plastic widow which you can see a vane that rotates off of a cam gear it also drives the oil pump, chilton manual says this year and vin x does not have one but it does ihave tried everything but the engine just pops and backfires like it is out of time

Yeah, it is not supposed to. is there a wire harness hookup for the cam syncro on that engine? It may be a 1995. I have installed 1998 4.0 engines in 1992s i just leave that syncro dead in the hole to run the oil pump. But, if there is a wiring provision there for it then we need to get it hooked up.

Does it have a wire plug for it?

there is a 3 wire harness that plugs into that sensor, the hood sticker says 1994 model the door jam sticker says 3/94 my father bought it brand new so it is all original
If it was made in 1994 it is most likely a 1995. ok let me look up the 1995
You do need some special tools. here is the workshop manual link. HERE
ok i will try anything
did you get the download?
what these instructions are saying is to set it at 26 degees atdc, the 94 says tdc so i will try this thank you for your help Mitch
Mitch
Mitch
Mitch, Ford Technician