Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1995 Ford Explorer: car starts and runs perfectly.

1995 Ford Explorer. The car...
1995 Ford Explorer. The car starts and runs perfectly. I drive for some time without incident. If I stop and turn off the engine and retart minutes later, it runs very rough and trys to stall. It will not idle, and the engine shakes violently! If it had a carburetor, I would think the choke was not opening. As it has fuel injection, I am not sure what controls the air, fuel mixture when the car is cold and then hot. Something is not functioning correctly for sure.
10/28/2009
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Hello, what engine do you have in the truck? Also how many miles are on it? Is the check engine light on and have you had it checked for codes with a scan tool? How does it start first start of the day?
It has the large V-6 4.0 liter. It has 190,000 miles. The check engine light is not on. It starts and runs extremely well when you first start in the morning. Engine does have a slight, periodic miss on occasion. I have not had a scan for any codes. Problem occurs after the engine reaches operating temperature, sits for a few minutes. and then on restart. Runs rough and engine vibrates as if it is flooding with fuel.

Ok, most auto parts stores will check for codes for free, I would recommend that even if the check engine light is not on, but it sounds like a fuel system issue as you mentioned. If it only has an issue on restarting when hot I would suspect a bad check valve in the fuel pump allowing the fuel rail to drop pressure and run rough as it is starving for fuel until it builds up pressure. You can check this with a fuel pressue gauge.With the key on engine offyou should have 30 psi of pressure and hold steady, if it slowly bleeds off, I would suspect a bad chck valve in the fuel pump. Make sure you have a newer fuel filter as it could be restricted as well.Also you can try cycling the key to the on position a few times to build pressure back up and see if it still has a rough restart. if it does then a fuel injector could be leaking down but I dont think thats the case since it runs ok first start of the day. If an injector was leaking down into the cylinder it would run rough on cold start as well.

I thought it might be the fuel pump. I had a new fuel pump installed and the fuel filter changed in the past two weeks. The problem still occurs. I guess I should have the codes read to see what it might be. Just thought it might be something I could replace on my own to correct the problem and save a few dollars.
Verify the fuel pressure is good, just because the fuel pump is new doesnt mean its good, ive had to change multiple fuel pumps until i have gotten a good one in the field. If you dont have a fuel pressure gauge you can rent one or buy one cheap at most auto parts stores but yes, check it for codes.
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans