Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1994 ford ranger: i replaced the crank position sensor

i am working on a 1994 ford ranger. i replaced the crank position sensor. the truck will not run. the coils ck good. i retreived several codes, 211, 224 ,121,112,. the truck is a 4 cyl with distributorless ignition and man trans. i have cked fuel pressure and pump. all fuses and relays and just about everything else. what am i missing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you have a test lite?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, i have volt meter also. i have a question about alighning the crank position sensor. if i didnt move the crank during installation, will just bolting it on be sufficent. i read in my manual that ,the outer van must not contact the sensor. is that all there is to putting it on or am i missing somthing.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Can you probe the red with light green wire at one of the igniyion coils and tell me if you have power when cranking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i have power to both coils. thats the red wire with green strip in the center of the 3 pin connector
i also have probed the coils and they have power also
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
ok do you have spark?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
ok next we need to check for power at the injectors, remove one of the injector connectors and probe each wire while cranking, you should have power on one of them.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ive done that also. i probed all 4 and there within spec.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Ok, next you will have to take the ground wire for the test lite and put it on the positive battery terminal. then probe the wire at the injector that did not have power and crank the engine, it should flash on/off while cranking.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i already confirmed all injectors have power.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Yes i know they have power, but we need see if the computer is grounding them, that is what this test is for.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oh im sorry for the confusion yes they are being grounded to the computer
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
so the lite flashes, if this is right then that leaves either 4 bad injectors, which is unlikely, or a timing belt has jumped, have you checked the timing belt alignment?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, alighnment looks good, could i have installed the crank position sensor wrong?
the owner of the truck changed the water pump and drove it 3 or 4 days then said it just quit running
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
If it were losing crankshaft signal, you would not have spark or injector pulse, so you can rule that out, have you run compression on this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, its high milage but again its with in parameters, and it holds it doesnt leak down
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
thenthis should run, are you sure you have injector pulse, not just power to the injectors? how did you check this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i used a noid light and spun the engine over
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
thenthat shoulld do the trick, if you have compression, spark, fuel and pulse, then it should start, have you tried to do a clear flodd mode by putting your foot all the way to the floor and cranking for awhile?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes itried that and it feels like its trying to start but it doesnt. could it be a pressure regulator or ecm. theres no ck engine light on either. once you turn the key to the on position just before cranking the light and things come on but the ck engine light goes out. i also took the edis off and had it checked
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
what is the fuel pressure reading on this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
key on engine off 37 psi i dont know what it is when running but i know it should go down about 10 psi. correct?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
the pressure is good, what do the plugs look like when removed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they look normal, looks like the truck might have been running alittle rich, probably due to a worn out o2 sensor. I have to leave for a appoint ment can we continue this in about 1 hour?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
let me know when you return
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i will, i shouldnt be gone to long, but keep them wheels spinning, this one has me stumped...lol. thanks so far for the help and ill get back to you as soon as i return.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
I'll be here.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks tim , ill be back shortly.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Tim , im back from my appointment. Any new ideas?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.

I suggest replacing the plugs or cleaning the plugs and seeing if it fires.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok ill give that a shot, but the plugs look pretty good, and it has new wires. ok thanks
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
there isnt much to keep if from running now, blow out each cylinder when you replace them and let me know if it fires up.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will do
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tim, I finally got the truck to fire with the help from a shot of starting fluid. It was running quite ruff, so i held the rpm steady and it cleaned it out to where it had a very smooth idle. But, every now and then I hear what souonds like a muffled backfire sound coming from the exhaust side of the engine, which I assume is unburnt fule trickling down in the exhaust manifold and the engine seems to lack some power. I did drive it around the blok, and on smothe flat roads it was ok , but going up hill, it struggled and the more I pressed the gas pedal the worse it got. Any ideas on what to ck now?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
This sounds like a plugged exhaust, if you can disconnect the exhaust before the cat and see if it runs better, it will be loud, but will tell you if the cat is plugged, If not, then check the timing belt again for proper alignment.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was going to ck the o2 sensor to, i worked on a 1988 ranger 2.9 v6 with similar problems and it was a o2 sensor is that worth the time to ck you think?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
The o2 sensor may be dirty, but we have to determine why? with this running rich, it could have plugged the cat,
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
another thing we have not addressed is fuel quality.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would the pluged cat cause that poping sound i hear in the exhaust side of the motor, its like a back fire but not quite the same and it clears up after a minute and usually only does tis under a load.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i now have the truck running. its hard to start but once its running it has a super smmothe idle. but, when you go to press the accelerator it stars missing. but once its reached operating temp it clars out some what. ist good enough to drive but has an ocasional miss and sputter. hard start and miss and sputt at wot is what im dealing with now.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
at this point you need to scan for codes, this should give you an idea what caused this to start with,Tim